Someone want to taste my beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

curlyfat

Reaction score
That's pretty much it. I've had an off-flavor crop up in the last several batches I've done. I first perceived it as a metallic taste, but now I'm thinking it's tannins from an improper mash pH (I have a pH meter and some ingredients ordered to address that).

I would love to send someone a couple bottles and have them confirm my suspicion, or perhaps tell me I'm stupid and what the real problem is. If you have some judging experience, that would be awesome, but I'd gladly send to it to a few fellow beer-lovers that want to help. The LHBS guy said it tastes "great" and didn't notice anything off, and a fellow co-worker who is an up-and-coming brewer/beer-lover said the same. Maybe it's in my head, I don't know.

I do intend to send some off to the NHC for some "expert" advice as well...

:mug:

Sure I'll take some.

I too have had an off flavor that lasted for a few different batches. It was a metallic like twang that didn't really seem to age out.

I traced it back to my water supply, I used to just run tap water through an activated carbon filter and the water seem to taste ok. Not great and really wouldn't drink it unless I had to but I brewed about 4 batches with it that all had the same taste.

The last batch, an alt, I used bottled water. Although It's still conditioning right now (been about 2 months) I can already tell that it's much better than previous batches.

I hope to keg it within the next few days so I won't be able to say with absolute certainty that it's better, but for not it seems much better.

What makes you think it was tannins that gave it a metallic taste? The only time I've had an issue with tannins is when I mashed WAY to high (175f) because the temp sensor was F'ed up. It gave it an astringent taste, really bitter that you could tell was not from the hops.

I think we tend to taste flaws in our own beers that others do not perceive. And in addition other people don't feel it is correct to criticize your beer, even though you ask them. I've been suffering sinus woes, otherwise I'd take a bottle and tell you the truth!

I think we tend to taste flaws in our own beers that others do not perceive. And in addition other people don't feel it is correct to criticize your beer, even though you ask them.!

Very true. We tend to pick apart each brew we do regarding our expectations of a particular brew and how we percieve it should look and taste.

National level BJCP judge here. I'd be happy to help trouble shoot. PM me if you would like assistance.

What makes you think it was tannins that gave it a metallic taste? The only time I've had an issue with tannins is when I mashed WAY to high (175f) because the temp sensor was F'ed up. It gave it an astringent taste, really bitter that you could tell was not from the hops.

It was the dry, bitterness that I think I was perceiving as metallic. I know my mash temps are spot-on, but I've been using RO water with 5.2. I thought the 5.2 might be the problem, so I left it out of my trippel and the problem was gone. Then the most recent batch, a pale ale, has it again! Perhaps it's from my hops, I don't know. It seems like every time I taste it, I perceive it differently, but it's always there. That's why I'm looking for an outside opinion.

Anyone who wants to sample and help, send me a PM. I'll probably limit it to two or three people to limit shipping costs.

Curly-

Just want to let you know that the beers arrived safe.

Holy hell, they are wicked clear too. The ups guy threw it at my door and drove off so I was expecting either broken bottles or bottles of yeast slurry, but you can read a newspaper threw them.

They're in the fridge now waiting to be tasted.

I'll post my tasting notes a little later :mug:

Well if anyone else is interested I can probably ship off some of my beer to be tasted. I don't think it tastes good and I can't figure out why. I don't have a defined palate so I can't tell if it's vinegar, cider, bananish, etc...Something just isn't right and it's really frustrating. I don't need the bottles but if I did it'd be my second dump out of 3 batches.

Curly-

Just want to let you know that the beers arrived safe.

Holy hell, they are wicked clear too. The ups guy threw it at my door and drove off so I was expecting either broken bottles or bottles of yeast slurry, but you can read a newspaper threw them.

They're in the fridge now waiting to be tasted.

I'll post my tasting notes a little later :mug:

I filter and keg my beer. The main reason is for digestive comfort (after a decade of brewing I discovered that unfiltered beer was a big cause of my gastric issues). The clarity is an awesome bonus, though! :D I no longer have to hear the old, "It was good. Is it supposed to be murky?" ever again.

Thanks to KellyK, I'm suspicious that I have an infection in my kegs causing the issue. I'm going to dismantle/clean/nuke all my kegs before I fill then going forward. It's hard to admit there's a sanitation issue, but it is what it is.

I look forward to your notes!

I had an issue with metallic flavor in my beer one time. I traced it to oxyclean and aluminum pot. Fyi, they don't mix. I'll never use aluminum again.

I had an issue with metallic flavor in my beer one time. I traced it to oxyclean and aluminum pot. Fyi, they don't mix. I'll never use aluminum again.

you used oxyclean on aluminum? or you just mean you used them both at separate times? I use them both as well but I don't use oxyclean on my aluminum pot.

Yes, I used oxy on aluminum. I know it's a no no. However, without creating a huge brewers debate; aluminum in my opinion is to be avoided.

Yes, I used oxy on aluminum. I know it's a no no. However, without creating a huge brewers debate; aluminum in my opinion is to be avoided.

PROPERLY treated and maintained aluminum is just fine... Useing oxyclean and such on it is just plain... Well, I'm not going to use that word right now, but it's none too smart...

FWIW, I have all stainless on my brew stand (excepting a few plastic and brass fittings). Please don't let my thread spiral into a stainless vs. Aluminum debate.

Back