Someone help ASAP

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blacktooth1313

Reaction score
Just brewed for my first time have a porter in glass carboy and it continues to blow the airlock off and foam and beer going everywhere. IS MY BEER RUINED and when does this stop happened

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Search
'Blow off tube" And relax, you will likely be fine. Check your ferment temps, you may be too warm!

Sounds like you have an awesome fermentation going. You simply need a blow off tube in place of the airlock..run the tube into a small jar of sanitizer. Hope this helps.

Try to connect hose but hose to small to fit over the center piece of airlock and temp is 76

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1392870047.768587.jpg will it ever stop or did it blow everything out and gonna be flat and thank you guys for the help

You need to find a way to ferment at lower temperatures. This will (most of the time) eliminate the blow off, and also greatly improve the flavor of your beer.

Until then, it's OK and relax, you've made beer and I'll bet you enjoy it immensely. Probably every brewer has been in your shoes.

Thanks pass down this is my first attempt and freaking me out hahah thanks for the kind words

I just love beer so much thinking I'm wasting a drop is a sin in my book hahha

You will be fine. It should settle out and the yeast will be at the bottom if the Carboy. You will add the carbonation later man everything is fine. Main thing is keep every think clean and try to keep stuff from getting back in the beer. When you do a wheat beer you also might have this kind if reaction.

Thanks Air Force trying best to keep clean just had to take airlock off clean and try getting back on just didn't know if air kept getting in if it would ruin etc but I don't have cap on airlock that's what seems to keep making it blow

One thing you need is head space to ferment in your Carboy ImageUploadedByHome Brew1392871011.871668.jpg

Also the rubber bung has a hole in it that you push the plastic air lock in. Go to Home Depot and get a plastic pice that fits in it with ridges. ImageUploadedByHome Brew1392871292.878246.jpg this will help with blow off. Tonight sanitize some aluminum foil and kinda wrap it around the top and let it over flow.

I have the airlock pushed into bung but trying to attach hose over the center piece of bung and it tad to small just ran about 4 inches water in tube to bring temp down to see if that helps wish you could FaceTime on this app hahah

Honestly, that fermentation is beautiful. Once you get comfortable with the "controlled chaos" and how to prepare for it you will be on your way!! Cheers.

Thanks cheddar all by accident I guess but ya made me stop sweating lmao wife said something just made a pop I went in there airlock blew top and sprayed porter all over bath tub wall up to ceiling hahahah

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1392872095.039287.jpg this time I took airlock off it didn't pop and nothing is touching out now

With that vigorous of a fermentation, I'd just leave the airlock off for awhile. Nothing bad is going to get in there with that much out gassing and it'll eventually push out enough stuff out that you'll have enough head space to comfortably put an airlock back on.

Or, sanitize a turkey baster and suck some of that out to further reduce your head space.

In the future, try to keep your temps down. 76 is too high, and is partly the reason for the massive fermentation.

And thanks az weird thing house is 68 degrees put in my. Loser and that's when the volcano started Louisiana up and down weather gotta find a unit or wrap that keeps a perfect temp any suggestions

Oh wow here comes the big money hahaha sure old lady gonna like that purchase

Seems all has calm down now and hopefully beer is ok thanks for everyone's help

Back