How long to aerate with o2 canisters on big beers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrutalBrew

Reaction score
I am planning on my first barley wine this weekend. Ive got a oxygen canister and setup to aerate prior to pitching yeast. Ive read a whole lot about regular gravity wort's. Usually everyone injects o2 for 30 - 60 seconds. But nothing on a big beer. Its a barleywine with a estimated final ABV of 12.2% . I plan on barely opening the valve to go slow to give the oxygen time to absorb into the wort. I dont want to over due it but also want enough for the yeast to live long and prosper.

I do 2 minutes on all my beers. If I was going to do something over 1.01, I'd do that and another minute after 12 hrs.

I'll run my oxygen for about 1 minute. Never had any issues with my high gravity brews. I just finished up a barleywine (10.5%) that is now bulk aging. I was thinking of hitting it with more oxygen 12 hours after pitching, but it had already taken off at that point.

1 minute prepitch, 1 minute @ 12 hours.

Back