Soda Making and Dispensing for Newbies

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pola0502ds

Reaction score
I can't believe there is not a sticky on this yet.

I currently brew beer but i would love to get into making my own soda for my kids.

I am also currently making a 4 tap keezer, I would like to make one of those taps for soda only. I started getting quotes and I told the guy I wanted one tap for soda and he added a carbonator and soda faucet to the quote of which are very expensive.

I don't want to pay that extra money just to have soda so can anyone tell me what the best way is to carbonate and dispense your soda from a keg?

Everyone else, please feel free to post newbie questions and hopefully this could be a sticky.

The simplest way is to have a second primary regulator, and an extra long line, for dispensing. Soda is best served at 25-30 psi, while beer is usually at 10-12 psi at the same temperature. So, you need about 25' of 3/16" beerline to serve it without it blasting out like a fire hose. That's all you should need, though.

Same taps?

This guy was trying to sell me a $500 dollar carbonator and a $200 faucet!

A carbonator is for a commercial business that uses bag in box soda syrup. The carbonator simply stores carbonated water and the releases it into the soda machine and mixes it with the soda syrup. Just brew your soda, put in a corny keg and carbonate like you would a beer. As Yoop said it needs to be served at a higher pressure so you may need an extra regulator.

A carbonator is for a commercial business that uses bag in box soda syrup. The carbonator simply stores carbonated water and the releases it into the soda machine and mixes it with the soda syrup. Just brew your soda, put in a corny keg and carbonate like you would a beer. As Yoop said it needs to be served at a higher pressure so you may need an extra regulator.

And yes, the same taps! You may want to reserve one tap for soda, as "root beer flavor" seems to permeate everything! I imagine it could be cleaned, but I'd keep one tap just for soda just in case.

Latest posts

Back