Soda Kegging Question - Filter/Strain out Zest, etc?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drgonzo2k2

Really Awesome User
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hey Gang,

So we've finally decided to start kegging some of our home made soda. We're dedicating a tap, lines, couple of kegs, etc. to it, apart from the ones we use for beer. One thing I was wondering was what about all the stuff like minced ginger, zest, etc. you add to home made soda?

For example, if I was making this orange soda recipe, what would I do with the orange zest? Won't that clog the line somewhere along the way?

Do I make the soda as usual, without the yeast, leave it in the fridge for a few days so all the flavors meld, and then strain/filter on the way into the keg?

Should I use something like a hop bag to contain the zest and just put everything in the keg?

I usually filter out heavy sediment with a sieve, and anything with a fine sediment I then run through a clean muslin bag or coffee filter. It can be tedious, but beats a clogged dip tube.

I have done a few where I've left large chunks of ginger in the keg to add to the ginger flavor.

Latest posts

Back