Soda/beer lines

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eapoll11

Reaction score
This is my first time making a rootbeer. Does the rootbeer ruin your beer lines if im putting it on tap? Couldnt i clean my lines out with pbw or oxygen cleaner to get the root beer flavor out?

This is my first time making a rootbeer. Does the rootbeer ruin your beer lines if im putting it on tap? Couldnt i clean my lines out with pbw or oxygen cleaner to get the root beer flavor out?

Trust me, root beer will NEVER come out. Ever, ever, ever, ever.

The other thing, soda is much more highly carbed than beer. So you may need soda at 30 psi, and 25-30' of line to balance that. So I'd suggest some dedicated beer line, with its own QD, just for root beer.

Did I mention that it will never come out? :D

Sprite/7up/etc will also stick around longer than you'd think, but root beer will NEVER come out.

Ever.

Ever.

Ask me how I know................................................

No, you should really dedicate lines to your rootbeer/soda setup. Especially in regards to rootbeer you will never get the flavor out. You'll probably also want about 30' of lines for your soda or use epoxy mixing tubes in your liquid out dip tube in your keg, so you can pour the soda at 30 PSI.

On my 6 tap keezer I've got 4 taps dedicated to beer and 2 dedicated to soda/kombucha.

To add I did not believe that rooter would last THAT long. Well it DOES trust me... I now have a 3gl pinlock keg with its own picnic tap so I can never mix it up AGAIN

But as for the keg I mean obviously they may have been used for rootbeer in the past. You don't reuse the same one? or can I give it a good clean, maybe have separate O-rings, and use the keg for beer?

But as for the keg I mean obviously they may have been used for rootbeer in the past. You don't reuse the same one? or can I give it a good clean, maybe have separate O-rings, and use the keg for beer?

My kegs never held root beer, but I had quite a few when I got them that smelled like old 7-up or Sprite. I cleaned them well, and replaced all of the o-rings and that works great. You have to remember to change out the o-rings on the poppits, too, and those are sort of a pain but it's doable. It's just much easier to have a keg and a picnic tap and dedicated line to something like rootbeer. Plus, since rootbeer is so much more carbonated, it needs much more line. I've used 25-30 feet of beerline for soda, but only 10-12' for beer.

I kegged root beer last month. I had to get rid of the beer line, the liquid connected on my corney keg, the big keg seal, etc. There was no salvaging it. Same with a ginger ale I did. One person even noticed a hint of rootbeer in my kolsch after swapping out everything. I think it was because they had the first pull of that beer from the keg in a couple weeks and had the part sitting up in my faucet which still might have some rootbeer in it.

I AM NEVER DOINGODA AGAIN, EVER!

I've never had any residual root beer flavor in the keg or tubing, but I do have one keg dedicated to soda, since it has 25 feet of serving line. The problem with that is that the soda in the line can go flat if you don't drink it regularly, so you're losing a few ounces of soda when you drink it the next time.

Back