Massive CO2 Regulator (at connection point to tank) Leak

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roughster

Reaction score
And yes, I do have a washer between the regulator and the tank. It is the MoreBeer Keg Kit (http://morebeer.com/products/basic-homebrew-draft-system-ball-lock.html) bought new 2 days ago and opened this morning.

I followed the instructions including placing the plastic yellow disc (3/4" with a 1/4" hole) in the hex nut between the two connection points. Connect with a wrench and tightened to snug. Closed off the valve to the keg, and opened the top of the tank and WHOOOSHHH not like a slow leak but an absolute gross leak coming out from behind the hex nut. Tightened a tad more, re-openend valave, still HUGE gross leak. Disconnected, checked the plastic disk, all looks good, reconnected, blast of CO2 out the back of the nut. Retightened hex nut more, tried again, still leaking. Retried everything about 10 more times, absolutely would not hold the gas in the regulator.

Below are pics of the setup. One question I have is the small "rise" that the screw nut that holds the filter when tightened all the way down on the regulator side has grooves that allow you to tighten in addition it does not sit flush with the flat side of the regulator that gets pushed up to the tank. Pictures will help show what I mean.

Any help is appreciated. Unfortunately the nearest MoreBeer is about 1 hour drive away so I am not thrilled about having to drive back. I plan on running down to Lowe's and buying some teflon washers to see if I just need a new washer between the two connection points but I suspect that the filter screw housing not sitting flush with the CO2 side female end is not ever going to seal given that it is a pretty big gap from flush.

Tank Side Shot:
IMG_2891.JPG

Regulator Side:
IMG_2889.JPG

The regulator side "lip" showing that the filter screwin housing does not sit flush:
IMG_2892.JPG

The plastic washer (3/4" with 1/4" hole):
IMG_2890.JPG

I think that slit in the mating face of the regulator is suspect. I'm not home, so I can't look at mine. But from a logic standpoint. How could it not leak?

Well I had a chance to play with this a bit more. Removed the insert with the slot face and the regulator sealed right up... Hmmm why would they put it there if it causes the regulator to not seal?? It looks like the piece is designed to seat the metal filter in one of the pictures, so I thought maybe the filter was not allowing the insert to not seat flush. Nope, removed the filter and tightened down to the hard stop which left the same proud / lip as shown in the pic above.

Good news, I just seat the filter with the insert then pulled the insert out then used the plastic disk and it worked great. A little disappointed that I had to go through this and will question the staff at MoreBeer in Concord as to the necessity of the insert and why it won't seal in the configuration they sell it in?? Seems a bit silly if I pay over $200 if you count the CO2 gas fill, to have to go home and troubleshoot it myself :(

That Chinese regulator should come with a sealing washer over the lip that was sticking out. It's a bit softer than those plastic washers and is supposed to be reused everytime. They usually have a few spares that come with the regulator. I'm sure it's fine that you removed it so it can be used with a standard gasket.

Hi folks, just saw this thread, and I'm *sure* I'm having the same problem. I admit I'm new to this so excuse my ignorance! My regulator has a slotted interface to the CO2 tank. When I put a plastic washer over it and tighten it down, the gas still escapes and I'm sure it's because of the slot. Pictures attached.

My question for the OP is: how did you remove this slotted interface? It seems to me that if I remove the cylinder with the slotted interface I'd have to replace it with one that doesn't have the slot.

My second question is: could it be I just need to purchase a washer with a protrusion that matches the slot?

I most appreciate the input. Take care and happy brewing :)

CO2_2.jpg

CO2_3.jpg

co2_1.jpg

Well, you would use a large flat bladed screw driver in that slot to remove that filter retention bushing, but now that I see more angles of this design, it appears that the gasket actually needs to be an O-ring that sits around that thing, sealing against the flat area. The oring will need to be thick enough to sit higher than the face of the slotted bushing.

Bobby M, you saved me much heartache, thank you. I saw your reply and pulled out my bag of spare o-rings. I found one in there that I can only describe as a "double o-ring" sort of looked like two O-rings stacked on top of each other to form a single taller ring. Did the trick. I sealed it up, and I could immediately hear the difference (no hiss...). I then tested it with some dish soap and I couldn't produce a single bubble.

I must have had one there previously, and at some point when I refilled the gas, it came out and I didn't even notice... so I was at a loss as to why the washers weren't working. Thank you sir, I owe you a homebrew... :)

Back