American IPA So you want a Dogfish Head 60 min. with a little more hop? BREW THIS!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrphillips

Reaction score
Recipe Type
Partial Mash
Yeast
S-05
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
~75
Color
5.6 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
none
Additional Fermentation
none
Tasting Notes
Slight caramel and malt, balanced, passion fruit/pine prevalent, smooth bitterness.
Dogfish Head 60 Minute IPA Sorta-Clone - partial mash - 45 min. @ 148-152 - 60 min. boil - ferment 2 weeks @ 66-68 degrees, 1 week 68-70 degrees - 5 gallon batch

GRAIN
7 lbs. extra light DME
.5 lbs. amber malt
.5 lbs. crystal 40

HOPS
1 oz warrior (added continuously from 60-30)
1 oz simcoe/1 oz amarillo mixed (added continuously 25-0, with larger additions at 5-0
Dry Hop 1oz Simcoe/1oz amarillo for 4 days

YEAST
S-05

*If you like Dogfish Head 60 min. IPA, but think to yourself, "I wish I had just a little more hop bitterness against this malt," you're in good company, and this is the beer you should brew. I'm sure with time the hops will fade and be much closer to the true DFH...but I doubt it will last that long :D

*EDIT* The bitterness has subsided after bottling, and is much closer to the original DFH 60 than I thought.

Hmmmm...I'm currently enjoying one of these, and the bitterness is much less than I recall tasting out of the bucket. Honestly, I might even add a little more warrior at 60 to bitter it up even more. Not a perfect clone, but a very tasty beer all the same!

Just wondering...How do you continuously add 1 oz of hops over 30 minutes? One pellet at a time?

I added about 7 pellets every 5 minutes. If I did it again, I'd add .5 oz. at 60 and spread the rest out over 30 min.

Latest posts

Back