My first SMaSH recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hallucinaut

Reaction score
So, I was originally going to try brewing a DFH 90-minute IPA clone, but since amarillo hops are so pricey right now, I've decided to brew my first SMaSH ale. Let me know what you guys think.....

My favorite styles are amber and IIPAs so I kind of mixed the two

Recipe: All-grain
Yeast: WLP299
Yeaster starter: Yes
Batch size (gallons): 4.00
EST OG: 1.074
EST FG: 1.017
IBU: 84.9
Boiling time: 60 mins
Color: 12.4 SRM
Primary Ferm: 21 days 70F
Secondary Ferm: 10 days 70F

Recipe:
11.5 lbs Munich
1 oz Nugget @ 60 mins
.5 oz Nugget @ 35 mins
.5 oz Nugget @ 25 mins
.5 oz Nugget @ 5 mins
1 oz Nugget dry hop

Mash schedule: Single Infusion, Medium body, batch sparge @ 154F
Total Grain weight: 11.5 lbs

So what do you guys think? I want an amber IIPA, basically. I haven't used much nugget before, but I can buy it by the LB still and it looks the most appealing to me, plus I've read it goes well with munich.

Anything you pros would change?

Munich & Nugget smash, eh? Sounds good. I'd double up on the dry hops, if I were you. Munich malt can be awful malty.

Which munich, btw? Different "munich" malts differ quite a bit.

Yeah, I've never used munich as a base malt so I was kind of winging this one.

On beersmith I just chose the malt that says munich, origin germany, 9.0 SRM.

Which of the munich malt are the least malty?

Least malty? Dingemann's makes a 6L/SRM Munich that's not too out of control. It's still pretty malty, though. As long as you stay away from a 100% batch of the Briess 20L stuff, you're probably good. Just up the hop rates from what you usually use with pale malt, and I'm sure it'll turn out fine.

Gotcha, I have little experience with munich so that's why I ask. I'd rather have a more hoppy than malty taste, I guess I should just brew up a batch then tweak it after I get some experience.

Do you think 84.9 IBU is enough for straight munich at 1.074 OG? Should I add more hops than that? Oh and I'll probably be going with 10L munich

It all depends on the balance, really. Bell's Hopslam is one of the hoppiest beers one can get in the midwest, yet only clocks in around 60 IBUs. How is that possible? Massive quantities of late boil, flameout, and dry hops. If you like hoppy, dry hop more. Three to four ounces wouldn't be out of the question.

Back