Small Batch: saving 1/2 pack of dry yeast packet for later batches?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

domdom

Reaction score
hello,

i recently started doing more 2.5 gallon 1/2 batches. i just dont drink as much as i used to but still enjoy the process of brewing and like having a variety of styles on hand to drink. i use dry yeast for probably 75% of my brews and it feels wasteful and unnecessary to use a whole packet of yeast for a 2.5 gallon batch. would it be safe to use half a packet and save the rest for another batch? i've heard of groups buying a 500g brick of dry yeast and splitting it up into single servings of yeast. i feel like the biggest issues would be contamination but not sure how fragile dry yeast is. what would be the safest way to attempt this?

My approach is to close the opened packet tightly, secure it with a rubber band, and put it back in the fridge. I brew with a small number of strains, so open packages get used up within a couple of months.

issue isnt contamination, its that dry yeast goes south pretty quickly in ambient conditions and with air exchange. get the remaining yeast to settle to the bottom of the pouch, fold the pouch over in half to seal it up, and then i put it in a small "snack" size ziploc. keep like 1/2inch of the ziploc open and suck all the air out of the bag and seal it up. they last for a month or two no problems.

I cut just a small corner of the bag, pitch what I need (either 1/3 or half a packet) fold over top once or twice, and clip a small bag clip on it and it goes back into a plain freezer baggy that holds all my dry yeast packets inside my beer fridge. I've opened a packet and pitched the remaining yeast 4-5 months later with fine results.

thanks for all the info! i always keep my dry yeast in the fridge so not really a big change.

If you brew British styles you might want to consider Munton's as it comes in 6g packages.

I typically use 1/2 packet of dry yeast for small batches (1-3 Gallons). I usually fold the top over a couple of times and put a binder clip or paper clip on it, and store it in the fridge.

Last time, I resealed the pack with the "Seal" setting (no vacuum) on my FoodSaver vacuum sealer, and stored it in the fridge.

I try to use the opened packet within 1-2 weeks, but have gone a bit longer without issue.

Back