slowing down a stir plate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrisS

I like cold beverages
Reaction score
So I too am building a stir plate from old parts lying around the house and one of those parts is an old tyco ho scalre train power pack. (not my image, but same product)

power_pack.jpg

If I barely turn it on the fan is zooming. I thought there was another person using the same power pack but a few searches didn't turn up anything so any advice on slowing it down would be appreciated.

Thanks.

The speed control is basically a potentiometer, so if you go to Radio Shack, pick up a 5W potentiometer and put it in series with one side of your output, you should be able to control your speeds.

is this potentiometer similar to the fan control in the picture? Do they both work the same or perform the same function?
fancontrol.jpg

They are the same thing, but that one has a pretty housing. Basically, a potentiometer is a resistor that you can change the resistance of. For example, a 100kΩ potentiometer can be adjusted from no resistance to 100kΩ of resistance.

When making my stir plate I found that starting with a low speed fan helped a lot. I had a stealth fan that had a max RPM rating of around 1300 (a little faster than real stir plates). I bought a 1M potentiometer for a couple of bucks at an electronics store. Hooked it all directly to a 12VDC power supply and got a terrific range of speed.

Back