Sizing Vessels for Predicting Net Volume

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

G-Lover

Reaction score
I want to keg 2 bbl's and am designing a system around it. I'm looking for help filling in the gaps or see what I've missed working backwards to size my vessels.

Serving Container: 4 american kegs

Fermenter: This is my first gap in knowledge and from what I've seen there's not a quick and fast way to calculate loss during fermentation. A wit 'gives up more' than a pilsner. I'm doing open fermentation in a container that is 1:1. How low can I go and how much space should I calculate for trub?

Boil Kettle: This I'm told needs to about double the size of the amount of wort going in to handle boil over. I also know I'll lose 10% per hour in the boil for most 1:1 boil kettles and another ~5% to cooling loss. So I'm look at something like 2((2bbl+fermenter loss+hot break) + %15

Mash Tun: I like to hit 1.080 so I believe I need a mashtun about 1.5 times the size of my of my boil kettle. I'm thinking a good size and shape is a tall cylinder with a good false bottom.

Any thoughts or recommendations. Good links always appreciated.

Back