Long Island RIMS/Herms set up

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LiGuy

Reaction score
I have been thinking of building a rims or herms system and have been trying to read up on it. I think I have an all right idea but at the same time I feel lost. if I could see someones up close/ in use I feel like it would help me get my head around it better. Or maybe even find someone who is also looking to build one. Go through the process together... Any ideas/ advice would help

Cheers!

I'm in the same boat. Trying to figure out what kind of system I want to put together. Presently using a couple of coolers and a blichmann burner, which all work well, but I'd like to (as one usually does when obsessed with a hobby) take it to the next level. Debating brewstand style (vertical or single tier) and RIMS/HERMS/etc.

I've brewed a couple of times with people who have had the blichmann top tier setups, but not using any type of automation. I like the modularity of it, but I think I like the concept of a single tier system better.

Where are you located? I'm in Bellmore.

I'm a RIMS guy now but I was unsure which way to go initially. I started with this set-up, which was cheap, taught me a lot about recirculation technique and easily incorporated into my final RIMS design. It's all manual, which gave me a good feel for the system. The last two photos show how I ultimately added the pump into my system. As you can see there was no waste.

image-1741766918.jpg

image-1735935068.jpg

image-1633941630.jpg

Interesting. Do you do your boil on the range as well, or just the mash? We just finished renovating (Sandy related) and got one of those heavy duty ranges. I'm going to see if can get 7 gallons of water boiling on it this weekend.

sch21c said:
Interesting. Do you do your boil on the range as well, or just the mash? We just finished renovating (Sandy related) and got one of those heavy duty ranges. I'm going to see if can get 7 gallons of water boiling on it this weekend.

I have since moved the operation to the garage, as seen in the photos. For awhile I used the first system for the direct fire mash and did boil up to 7.5 gallons on the 16,000 BTU burner. I live at 5,000 feet and I bet it would be even weaker at lower altitudes. It worked but was pretty marginal with a barely adequate boil. For awhile I still did the mash on the range and then carried it outside for the boil on a turkey fryer but carrying 8 gallons of wort in a pot got old quickly.

thanks for the ideas... I am thinking of trying to build a rims.. not really sure yet.. I am in east northport

Back