Wyeast 3711 Starter Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phuff7129

Reaction score
Here is a picture of my 28 hour old 3711 French Saison starter. After a few hours it developed a little foam and a little activity in the airlock. It has basically looked the same ever since. There has never been a krausen. This is my first experience with this yeast and it just doesn't look or behave like my other starters. I am comfortable with my process. My question is does this look familiar to anyone who has used this yeast. Thanks.

attachment.php

Starter.jpg

In my (limited) experience, this is normal for 3711. In fact, I also have a starter going from some harvested 3711 and it looks almost exactly the same. Additionally, the last starter I made w 3711 didn't settle out for a week. Granted, maybe that was "bad," but the beer turned out amazing.

Interested to hear other comments on this.

Cheers.

I don't know about that yeast but I'm not sure an air lock is appropriate for starters. You kinda want air to be able to get into the flask to provide o2. That's the purpose of the stir plate. Move co2 out, let o2 in.

I don't know about that yeast but I'm not sure an air lock is appropriate for starters. You kinda want air to be able to get into the flask to provide o2. That's the purpose of the stir plate. Move co2 out, let o2 in.

+1 . I never use an airlock with any of my starters. It prevents exactly what you want to have happen with your starter which is to provide plenty of oxygen for all your growing little beasties. I just simply cover my starter flask with heavy duty aluminum foil instead. allows O2 to enter and keeps out any nasties.

I don't have any experience with this one but I do with their Belgian Abbey, which was a very slow starter. After 24 hours it looked exactly like this one does though, cloudy with very little krausen. It made me a helluva Belgian Dubbel so I'd think its done.

I love using this yeast. I've got some in a starter right now. It looks like you had some good proliferation, and I agree with the airlock comments above. That starter is ready for action.

Yep, ready. I would skip the airlock as well. By the way 3711 is a beast. Look for a 1.002 FG

+1 on not using an airlock. The yeast need oxygen to keep multiplying. By depriving them of oxygen you aren't allowing them to divide and are basically repitching the same yeast you dumped in the starter.

Back