Kegerator Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emathews8

Reaction score
Hi guys. Had a question and I'm not 100% certain on what to do. Put a 1/4 barrel of Miller in my kegerator last week because none of the distributors around here had Shiner Bock available. Heard it hadn't been available for a while. To make a long story short, my liquor store called me and said they were able to get a 1/4 of Shiner. I want to pick it up, but I'm not sure what I can do with my 1/4 of Miller. Will it be ok just to disconnect from CO2 and store it in a fridge until the Shiner is gone? Is there anything special I have to do to the keg before I disconnect? Thanks everyone.

Eric

Stick it at about 12psi and store it in the fridge. No problems there. Check the pressure every couple days to make sure it's not leaking and you end up with flat beer. But worse case scenario is that you need to carb it up again by putting it back on CO2 for a week or two. Or if your impatient, putting it on 20-25 psi for 1-2 days, but be careful not to over carb.

Not sure how this is a kegerator question but anyways....Just call some buddies over to help you drink it. A weekend BBQ should take care of it easily.

Tapping a keg at a college party basically ruins it because manual taps use oxygen for pressure (oxygen is bad for beer). Using CO2 for pressure until it is half gone is no problem, unhook it and rehook it as often as you like. There is no difference (to the beer) whether it has a CO2 line in or not, as long as it is pressurized and there is no oxygen.

Tapping a keg at a college party basically ruins it because manual taps use oxygen for pressure (oxygen is bad for beer). Using CO2 for pressure until it is half gone is no problem, unhook it and rehook it as often as you like. There is no difference (to the beer) whether it has a CO2 line in or not, as long as it is pressurized and there is no oxygen.

This^^^^^^^. It's all about what gas sits atop the liquid in the keg, be it beer or Miller.

Latest posts

Back