Brewmeister’s fitness tip #1

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I get a great arm workout each brew day by constantly lifting my mash tun from the ground to the table after filling it with sparge water.

This is why my kegorator is one flight down and all the way out in the garage. One more pint? Sure, I need the exercise.

I put my beer in the back of the fridge on the bottom shelf...helps me get a few squats in each day.

Not to mention the free eye exams I get every time I check the hydrometer samples.

Store your brewing equipment in your basement, because your garage has no room, and drag all that out, brew AG all day, then clean and drag it (along with carboys full of wort) back downstairs. Thousands of calories burned. Gotta drink lots of beer to renourish my body. Unfortunately, I only brew once a month (though my beer cave is in the basement, so that's at least one trip per day).

Keg lifts, if executed properly, are a great exercise for the quads, gluts, lower back, and shoulders.

Ultimately though, they tend to develop a beer gut as well....

I keep Little Debbie snacks and mayo next to all areas containing starters and/or fermenting beer. like my scrawny ash needs to lose weight...

All my beer gear is stored in the basement. I brew in the kitchen. My fermentation chamber is in the basement. Top up water comes from the cold water line (inline charcoal filter) in my kitchen.

Brew night involves a lot of carrying stuff up and down stairs in addition to a lot of static lifting. Luckily I am able to hydrate and load up on carbohydrates as I go to maintain energy throughout the process.

Until my burner was unceremoniously destroyed, I tended to brew outside. Carrying all of my equipment from my basement to my backyard (fire marshal gets on my you-know-what about open flames on the porch, which is visible from the street), and then a big kettle full of hot wort, is a great exercise. I sweat profusely during. Bottling is even worse - I always end up soaked, before I spill any beer.

Back