Beer-Wine Hybrids

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HBT9y

Reaction score
Planning on giving a hybrid a try, looking for suggestions regarding the following:
1. Any suggestions for a good base style to use? Barleywine? ESB? Amber?
2. Most effective way to maximize flavor...adding something like muscat grape extract to boil (similar to Midas Touch)? Soaking oak cubes in cabernet and adding to secondary (much like a bourbon barrel-aged porter I've done with excellent results)?

Would love any feedback on your experiences.

Little bit of a thread necro but I will jump in just cause... I have a recipe that I put together after reading up on Dogfish Head's Red and white (or is it the other way around?) anyhow the red and white is a belgian white with I think Pinot noir grape must... So I have a basic belgian white with the addition of Syrah concentrate, I figure the black pepper spiciness of the syrah would play well with a white. Gonna cut back on the coriander so I can judge the rest of the flavors and make an adjustment for V2 if it tastes decent. Haven't made it yet. Also have a recipe for a basic barleywine with not much specialty grains, pretty much all maris otter, with Port wine concentrate, and port soaked french oak cubes. I hope to brew those in January next year.

I am looking into doing a beer/wine hybrid within the upcoming weeks. I am looking for a good grape to use, but I am a newbie/un-educated person when it comes to wine grapes. I was wondering if anybody has some input, or a place to buy decent grapes for a hybrid beer.

I am looking to make something along the lines of a DFH 61, or pale ale wine beer.

Would it be okay to just buy a bottle of wine that I desire and use that in the brewing/bottling process? Or would it be better to buy grapes and make my own must?

I put together a one gallon batch of yoopers welch's concentrate white wine. I used a galling of organic white grape juice, a can of frozen Apple juice and a little bit of sugar.

My plan is to age it on oak chips, then ill use those same oak chips in an imperial nelson Sauvin batch. I'll brew 4.5 gallons of beer then top off with a gallon of the same organic grape juice.

Organic, because it doesn't have preservatives to kill off yeast.

Back