Single Simcoe IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cricca

Reaction score
Can I get an input on this recipe, should I change anything? :)
Screenshot_20190606-093316_Photos.jpg

Looks pretty good. I would move the 15 min and/or the 30 minute hops to whirlpool or flame out. But what you hace should work out fine for a west coast style IPA

150g total hops is a bit on the light side for an IPA. Depends what you are looking for, but I'd increase the total amount to 250-300g. After that you get diminishing returns.
Also Simcoe has heaps of flavour and good bitterness so you don't need to do 60 min bittering additions with it. You should be able to get all the bitterness you need from a 20 min addition then the rest at whirlpool.
Or if you really want to do a 60 minute addition, use something cheap.

I would use only Pale malt: it will provide a great canvas for your hop.

Simcoe is best used late and for dry hopping. Bitter at 60' if you must and add more hops in the whirlpool and dry hop. You are a bit low on hops with your current recipe.

The ABV seems a bit high, but not an issue.

150g total hops is a bit on the light side for an IPA. Depends what you are looking for, but I'd increase the total amount to 250-300g. After that you get diminishing returns.
Also Simcoe has heaps of flavour and good bitterness so you don't need to do 60 min bittering additions with it. You should be able to get all the bitterness you need from a 20 min addition then the rest at whirlpool.
Or if you really want to do a 60 minute addition, use something cheap.

Does this look better?
Screenshot_20190606-113147_Photos.jpg

Yeah that looks way better IMO. nly change I'd make here is to reduce the bitterness from that 30 min addition. You've got 60 IBU which is ok for an IPA, but you are also gonna get some bitterness from the whirlpool which could push it over the top. I'd aim for 40IBU from that 30m addition (or change it to a 20m addition which naturally gives less bittering). Aside from that, looks great.

Making great beer is all about treating the yeast right so make sure you build a nice healthy starter. And keep that thing away from oxygen.

Simcoe is a really great hop, one of my favourites.

You’ll find all sorts of answers to these questions. I’m in the camp of keeping the 30 and 15 additions. I think it adds more dimension to the beer than just adding hops at 60 and WP.

Can you cool the whirlpool to below 180? If so I’d keep the 30 and 15 and whirlpool below 180.

I recently made a similar beer, with 11lbs pale malt, 1lb crystal 60 (for some color), 1oz Simcoe for 60min, and 1oz Simcoe after flameout at 160F. I did a closed transfer to a keg.

It was very good, and had a beautiful amber color. After a few weeks in the keg I liked it even better, the flavors seemed to balance better.

I'll definitely be brewing that one again.

Last edited:
There's nothing wrong with having a 60, 30 minute hop addition. But after 30, just move it all to whirlpool and use a lot. Agreed on the 300g hotside for 20L chilled.

CaraHell is a nice light caramel malt, and I would suggest you use like 2-3% with that american 2-row to keep it from getting too dry and boring. The munich was also nice if you want it to dry out, as it is diastatic. But I would suggest choosing one or the other. Carapils is a waste of your time.

I think that last iteration looks good! Just use CaraHell or a good quality light english crystal to 2-3% instead of carapils.

Back