Apfelwein First Try

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schmidty823

Reaction score
Hello everyone i am new to the forum and to the hobby of homebrewing. Today i gave an apfelwein recipe that i found online a shot. The recipe was Edworts and it called for wine yeast for fermentation. I decided to go with an active dry yeast from the store since i have heard different pros and cons to both this yeast and the wine yeast. However, my question has to do with the way i added the yeast. I was told to activate the yeast by adding 5 grams to 1 cup of warm water and then stirring it. I did this and let the mix sit for about 5 minutes then poured it into the apple juice and corn sugar mix. Was this activation process correct? should i add more yeast? any help would be appreciated!

Cheers

what kind of active dry yeast at you ralking bread yeast, champagne yeaat or a beer yeast we would need thw type to give an answer

I tried using bread yeast a few times for cider back when I was in college, and it always came out sour tasting. Hopefully yours will turn out better, please post back with the results. If not, I would recommend using proper wine yeast such as Montrachet, or heffe yeast. As for your activation method, it sounds fine. I usually let my dry yeast sit it warm water (85-90*F) for about 30 minutes.

Latest posts

Back