Since GF beer is low in FAN

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

telebrewer

Reaction score
I found a recipe that said that. What is FAN? It said you will want to get some GF yeast nutrient such as di-ammonium phosphate. How much of that would you add? This has to do with the yeast in GF beer. Is di-ammonium phosphate toxic?

I've always used 1 tsp at some point- during the boil, during the cool down, before I pitch the yeast, etc.... No idea if it is toxic though, I can't imagine it is unless if used in VERY large amounts.

I found a recipe that said that. What is FAN? It said you will want to get some GF yeast nutrient such as di-ammonium phosphate. How much of that would you add? This has to do with the yeast in GF beer. Is di-ammonium phosphate toxic?

Not sure what FAN is an acronymn for. Might stand for folic acid nutrient. Folic acid is part of the vitamin B comlpex. Di-ammonium phosphate is just a source of yeast nutrients. Everything is toxic when over used. I use DAP all the time to help the yeast really work well. Since a lot of wierd things are used in GF beer there might be a shortage of required nutrients needed for good yeast activity. I've got 19.5% alcohol using progressive amounts of nutrients and additional suger when I've made chestnut liquerur. Some nutrient additives have the DAP and other B vitamin in combo. Brewers yeast in sold in health food syores as a B comlex suppliment.

Leeinwa

It stands for free amino nitrogen. Either way, it can be made up for with yeast nutrient, DAP being one of the types. If you read over my 16% Sorghum, 84% BRS post I go into a little more detail.

To correct what the person you quoted said, GF beer isn't low in FAN, but some GF ingredients have little to no FAN in them. Sorghum is the one with the most FAN, hence people using it first. Brown Rice Syrup is the only other ingredient I know that has any FAN in it, but it isn't enough on its own.

It stands for free amino nitrogen. Either way, it can be made up for with yeast nutrient, DAP being one of the types. If you read over my 16% Sorghum, 84% BRS post I go into a little more detail.

To correct what the person you quoted said, GF beer isn't low in FAN, but some GF ingredients have little to no FAN in them. Sorghum is the one with the most FAN, hence people using it first. Brown Rice Syrup is the only other ingredient I know that has any FAN in it, but it isn't enough on its own.

Thanks for the correction . I spent the last 20 years of my career working for government and acronymns make up every other word of publications. Use to drive me nuts. I thought maybe folic acid because Wyeast Nutrient Blend contains vitamins, trace minerals and nitrogens. In my normal chestnut beer production I don't use any nutritional suppliments and still get a 7-8 % ABV beer.

Go to www.nutritiondata.com and key in chestnuts, dried, and you can get a really complete nutrional break down. You can do it with just about any food product. Great link.

Leeinwa

In my normal chestnut beer production I don't use any nutritional suppliments and still get a 7-8 % ABV beer.

If this is true, perhaps there is nitrogen somewhere in chestnuts.

From my experience with Fruit wines, you can usually get the yeast to eat the sugars without too much trouble, but if you use yeast nutrient you usually come out with a higher quality product.

But, as long as it tastes good to you, it doesn't really matter.

If this is true, perhaps there is nitrogen somewhere in chestnuts.

From my experience with Fruit wines, you can usually get the yeast to eat the sugars without too much trouble, but if you use yeast nutrient you usually come out with a higher quality product.

But, as long as it tastes good to you, it doesn't really matter.

Chestnuts have an amino acid [all have nitrogen] score of 107. A score of 100 indicates complete compliments of the essential amino acids. Anything above 100 is a plus. But...., when I make 19.5% ABV liqueur I need to add supplimental nitrogen sources for which I use DAP or Wyeast Nutional Blend. Fermentation to this level takes TLC and about 3 weeks. 1 oz [28 g] of dried chestnuts contain 2 g of protein.

My dried chestnut beer chips have a total nutritional content that approximates malted barley, but the sugars are not as free. That's why I use glucoamylase and pectinase to break down the starchs and pectins to an available sugar.

leeinwa

Back