Silicon Smell in Fermentation Chamber

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cmaxwe

Reaction score
I recently put a collar on a small fridge to make a fermentatin chamber.

I used liquid nails and silicon to seal it and I didn't really wait very long for it to cure / didn't air it out really at all.

My first batch had really bad off flavors (wasn't infected though I don't think) - it was a Mango Jack yeast that I have never used before so I chalked it up to that. This second batch is trusty US-05 though and it has similar (but more muted) off flavors. I haven't changed my process at all apart from introducing the fridge and again I am not seeing any signs of infection so I don't think that is causing the off flavors.

I am fermenting in a SS Brewtech Brewbucket with a blowoff tube in a starsan container. So it should be fairly tight but what I am starting to wonder is if the silicon/liquid nails solvent smell is somehow causing the off flavor. Does that sound plausable?

Or is it more likely that I have a slight infection and/or have some wild yeast or some other contaiminant?

Back