What's your profession?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mr. Mcsuck:
Been waiting for someone 'in' yeast: I'm a retired chemist, have had bio, biochem. I can't get a straight answer to this from ANYONE, not even biologist at 'Why Yeast'. He recommended a $200 book to me.
Ala Palmer, we should cold-drop the starter yeast and NOT use the foul-tasting liquid. This is true: it tastes awful. So, doesn't it make sense that the same filthy-tasting liquid is being generated during the log phase of yeast growth in the wort? The yeast grow until oxygen is consumed and then they begin to ferment anaerobically. Right? Why not grow a huge starter(the yeast from a prior batch), and use as starter in an under-oxygenated wort???

Mr. Mcsuck:
Been waiting for someone 'in' yeast: I'm a retired chemist, have had bio, biochem. I can't get a straight answer to this from ANYONE, not even biologist at 'Why Yeast'. He recommended a $200 book to me.
Ala Palmer, we should cold-drop the starter yeast and NOT use the foul-tasting liquid. This is true: it tastes awful. So, doesn't it make sense that the same filthy-tasting liquid is being generated during the log phase of yeast growth in the wort? The yeast grow until oxygen is consumed and then they begin to ferment anaerobically. Right? Why not grow a huge starter(the yeast from a prior batch), and use as starter in an under-oxygenated wort???

A couple of points:
1) The standard answer to changing a fundamental process in an established method is "That's the way we have always done it." Maybe a little bit of the foul adds character to beer, if it is in small enough quantities. Perhaps the yeast metabolizes the yucky during anaerobic respiration.
2) As a chemist you should not be afraid to put the scientific method to a practical test through real-world experimentation. Do two half carboys -- one oxygenated with a standard yeast dose, and the other with the headspace purged with nitrogen gas and a superstarter.

When a scientist is confronted with a question that he is not being given an answer to, he devises a method to develop the answer himself. Happy 'sperimentin'

Risk management/tech safety consultant. 99% oil & gas industry, with a bit of petrochem on the odd occasion.

Basically I try to stop oil rigs from blowing up or sinking.

VP at my families Mechanical Construction company (specializing in food and beverage of course ;) ).

Haven't picked a name yet but it would probably be "Brunhilde" or "Lieselotte" or such :)

Not sure if you have kids but my references are to a kid's cartoon on Disney Channel called "Phineas and Ferb". The evil scientist is Dr. Heinz Doofenshmirtz and every one of his "evil inventions" has a name ending with "...inator".

Destructinator
Drillinator
Meltinator
Age Accelerator-inator

and so forth.

Not sure if you have kids but my references are to a kid's cartoon on Disney Channel called "Phineas and Ferb". The evil scientist is Dr. Heinz Doofenshmirtz and every one of his "evil inventions" has a name ending with "...inator".

Destructinator
Drillinator
Meltinator
Age Accelerator-inator

and so forth.

HA! I do have kids but one is 28 the other 2 months old. We have other shows to watch. I was already wondering if I'm missing something here :mug:

I am currently a stay at home mom while my husband is an accountant and student at ashford university online. I have been in and out of school for restaurant management, but I'm going to aim that to beer science so I can open a brewery restaurant instead of just a restaurant. I just have to wait for my kids to start school in a couple of years so I can go back.

Lgaddy44 said:
WOW! I thought it was just my IT guy that said that! Is that all they teach you fellas?

My motto is "reboot often". I work in GIS for a forestry company. IT often falls under that here.

Freelance Drupal developer (Drupal is an open-source content management system).

Veterinarian.

"I'm sure your very reliable Google source confirms that your dog has congenital malignant hemorrhagic encephalitis. But..."

Delivering all your homebrew supplies.

"No sir, thst box was half open when I found it in my truck. DIPA this weekend huh?"

Back