First homebrew competition and I got bronze!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wbyrd01

Reaction score
I'm pretty excited! The results for the Great AZ Homebrew Competition were just posted and I got bronze for my One Eyed Dollar Dunkelweizen! I really entered the competition just looking to get feedback on my beer. But I'll take the prize too! Can't wait to get the score sheet back to see the comments.

** EDIT TO ADD RECIPE ***

2.5lbs Munich Malt
1.5lbs Vienna Malt
1.5lbs Wheat Malt
.5lbs Special B Malt
2.5oz Carafa Special II
2.5oz Chocolate Wheat Malt
3lbs Wheat Dry Extract (added with 10 minutes left in boil)
1oz Hallertauer Hersbrucker - First wort hopped
White Labs Hefeweizen Ale WLP300

BIAB Medium body, 75 minute mash @ 152F, mash out @ 168 for 10 minutes.

Ferment @ 65F for 3 weeks.

Kegged at 2.9 vols. I drank half the keg then bottled the rest.

I drank the last bottle I had last night in celebration of winning bronze!

Congrats! I'm thinking about entering some beers in a competition, but I was ill prepared and the one won't be ready and the other is just a boring pale ale that was meant to be more of a mild drinking beer than anything special. I still might enter that just to get the feedback to see if there is something I'm missing, like an off odor.

Congratulations, keep entering and you will get some good feedback. Don't get discouraged if the same beer gets medals at one comp and low scores at the next, it happens. Way to win on your first entry!

Don't get discouraged if the same beer gets medals at one comp and low scores at the next, it happens.

Funny you should mention that.

I just got my score sheets back from the first I ever entered by mail.

From them: (IPA) "You should definitely revisit your choice of hops"
From the last comp: (Same IPA) "Don't touch the hop varieties. Needs more bittering"

From them: (Specialty cider) GINGER! TOO MUCH GINGER" and ". . . a great ginger ale, but it's not a cider." Score: 20
From the last comp: (Same cider) "Best of Show." Score: 39.5

Congrats! I know exactly what it feels like because I just won in my first comp too!

still waiting to medal in my homebrew club's competition before I enter bigger comps. 0/4 so far this year

holding out for the participation trophy

I just entered the same competition and got gold for my Daybreak Durum Blonde Ale! I too am looking forward to the score sheets and to proudly display my medal in the man cave!:ban:

Congratulations! It feels good to get good feedback. I also entered that competition and my Milk Stout earned a Gold! My Irish Red didn't place though... Like you I am anxious for my score sheets and my medal.

Congratulations! It feels good to get good feedback. I also entered that competition and my Milk Stout earned a Gold! My Irish Red didn't place though... Like you I am anxious for my score sheets and my medal.

Congrats on your gold! I entered a milk stout in the competition too but didn't place. I really want to see the score sheet for it. Mind sharing your recipe?

70% efficiency
10lbs 2row
1lb black patent
.75lb crystal 80
.5lb pale chocolate
1lb lactose at 15min
1 addition of Kent Goldings at 60min to get 29 IBU
Fermented with s-04
If I brew it again I will replace the black patent with a roasted barley/debittered black malt blend. It took almost 5mos for the ashtray aroma/flavor to fade.

I only used a half pound of lactose in mine and was thinking I would bump it up to a pound. Thanks for posting the recipe.

Sure thing! It's always nice to share with local brewers. How old is yours? I have found my stouts and porters generally need several months of age to get really good.

When I turned it in it was only in the bottle for two weeks. I knew it was still young but I was just hoping that it was good. I'm re-brewing my Dunkelweizen tomorrow but doing it is all grain, hopefully it turns out just as good.

I'm sure it will. I'm brewing a clone of San Tan's Mr Pineapple on Sunday. I would love to do a homebrew swap, pm me if you are interested. I'm always looking for good, honest feedback on my brews.

I have a sixer of Mr. Pineapple in the fridge right now. It's pretty tasty, like drinking a hefe with a pineapple life saver in your mouth!

PM inbound.

Have you received your medal yet? I have not. Seems that everyone else has received their results except for people who placed. Just wondering. Cheers!

Have you received your medal yet? I have not. Seems that everyone else has received their results except for people who placed. Just wondering. Cheers!

I got an email this morning saying they had a problem with the vendor for the medals. It said we should be receiving them soon. I didn't get the results for the beer I entered that didn't place though. Maybe since I had one that did they were just planning on sending them out together?

I got an email this morning saying they had a problem with the vendor for the medals. It said we should be receiving them soon. I didn't get the results for the beer I entered that didn't place though. Maybe since I had one that did they were just planning on sending them out together?

That's how I interpreted the email I got, anxious to see what they had to say.

Back