Side-by-Side Refrigerator Fermentation Chamber Build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tapout

Reaction score
I've recently obtained a Whirlpool Conquest side-by-side refrigerator/freezer, which I'm hoping to turn into a fermentation chamber.

I've taken some pictures of the control panel and the wiring schematic and am hoping that one of you electronically savvy folks can help me wire two STC 1000 temperature controls into it correctly.

I've labeled what I could from reading the schematic. I'm assuming I've correctly labeled the freezer damper rod and the refrigerator temperature probe.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

Fridge Temp Controls.jpg

Whirlpool Conquest Wiring Schematic, Full Page.jpg

Whirlpool Conquest Wiring Schematic, Refrigerator Section.jpg

Whirlpool Conquest Wiring Schematic, Freezer Section.jpg

I thought I heard someone say that a refrigerator cools the reefer compartment via the freezer? The unit cools the freeze first... Something like that.

What I'm getting at is, I don't think it's gonna be possible to control the two sides indepentaly unless there is two separate condenser units in the refrigerator.

I don't know where I'm getting this idea from, but maybe it will stir up someone else's brain and they'll respond. Good luck.

I'm with greenmonti. It was also my understanding the freezer keeps freezing temp and the refrigerator side is controlled by how much air it pulls through the damper from the freezer to the refrigerator side. Could be way off based but I believe that's how it is. I suppose you could use a controller wired to a fan to pull more cold in if you wanted the fridge side cooler than it will normally attain. But not sure you can have the fridge Warmer without effecting the freezer side. I'm not an hvac guy nor do I play one on tv.

Ok, here are my wiring assumptions for the refrigerator side. I'm still trying to figure out the freezer side...if I can use it at all.

Power:
Black will go to the STC 1000 port 1.
White will go to the STC 1000 port 2.

Temp Probe:
Of course, the STC 1000 temperature probe goes to the STC 1000 ports 3 and 4.

Heating:
I live in Florida, so I highly doubt I'll need the Heating side, so ports 5 and 6 won't be used.

Cooling:
Orange refrigerator temperature controller wire goes to the STC 1000 port 7.
Red refrigerator temperature controller wire goes to the STC 1000 port 8.

Does that look anywhere near correct? Based on the refrigerator contols pics and the wiring diagram pic.

I traced the red wire (on the schematic, not physically) and it seems to go to the compressor.

In case anyone was breathlessly waiting to see what happened, there were three possible outcomes:

A) I screwed up the wiring and died a horrible death...I guess it wasn't that!

B) I screwed up the wiring and burnt down the house...or at least fried the STC 1000 and the refrigerator.

C) I was successful in my endeavor.

C) is the answer. It's always C).

The refrigerator side has been at a constant 18c (~65f) since Saturday noonish.

I haven't figured out how to easily regulate the freezer side yet since there's only the one compressor, but it seems that keeping the refrigerator side so warm, coupled with putting the freezer on its warmest setting, it stays right around 35-40f. So, I can at least ferment on one side and cold crash on the other for now.

I'm a happy camper and SWMBO is happy beer isn't taking up floor space in her house...odd what makes women happy:confused:

I have a side-by-side as well. Does okay but would like to ferment lagers and ales at the same time. My latest idea I'm toying with is to install a cheap small window ac unit on the fridge side seal up the air pass through between them.

Wife wont let me me get another fridge or freezer. Two stand up freezers (1 is a 6 tap kegerator), side-by-side, wine fridge, mini fridge, small chest freezer, then the kitchen fridge/freezer. Between beer,deer, sausage, and smoking meats she only gets to use the kitchen fridge/freezer.

I have a side-by-side as well. Does okay but would like to ferment lagers and ales at the same time. My latest idea I'm toying with is to install a cheap small window ac unit on the fridge side seal up the air pass through between them.

Wife wont let me me get another fridge or freezer. Two stand up freezers (1 is a 6 tap kegerator), side-by-side, wine fridge, mini fridge, small chest freezer, then the kitchen fridge/freezer. Between beer,deer, sausage, and smoking meats she only gets to use the kitchen fridge/freezer.

Sounds like us and closet space allotted by the wife right? Lol. Wish I could help the op on this thread...I have a side by side and just ferment two ssbrewbuckets because of space. Would be nice to be able to fit one or two more fermenters in....back to back brews on sat and Sunday with four different beer styles made would be epic.

Guns Up' class of 00. :)

I'll be keeping an eye on the freezer side temps to see how much they fluxtuate and what the range is. If it stays above 35f, I can at least use it for cold crashing and maybe lagering, if I ever want to try that. It may be a bit too cold for kegs. We'll see.

For now, I'm happy that I can use it for ale fermenting. At least I'm not having to swap out ice bottles and I'm not using floor space in the house.

I have a side by side fridge/freezer with a control panel that looks very similar to yours and I'm having a hard time wiring up the ITC 1000 that will run the compressor. I know it's been a while since this thread was started, but can you be more specific about your wiring?

You said that you plugged the orange wire into port 7 and the red wire into port 8. Did you have to jump an additional hot wire from port 1 to port 7? Also, what did you do with the ground wire that ran to and from the original thermostat? Any pics that you can provide would be awesome.

The major difference between your control panel and my control panel is that I have 2 red wires, an orange wire, and a ground connected to the original thermostat. My assumption though is that I can run both of those red wires to port 8 on the ITC 1000.

Back