Should this be safe to bottle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daniel Audette

Reaction score
Hello all,

This is my first brew is a long time. (20 yrs). I had only done 3 or 4 kits before. They where similar to wine kits which was all liquid add water and your done. I am doing an extract brew and thinking of doing a couple times get back into it. Then I want to switch to all grain biab.

My starting gravity was 1042 started Aug 27 and when I took a reading last night it was down to 1008. There is still active fermentation (bubbles in my thief) is it safe to bottle seeing my gravity is so low?

Finishing gravity doesn't tell you much unless you've brewed this beer many times before. One way to be sure is to check the gravity again in 2-3 days and if the measurements are the same then its done.

In the future (because it's too late now) you can try a fast ferment test (look it up) and that'll tell you what the finishing gravity will be.

Cheers and enjoy your beer.

Bubbles in your thief is not necessarily a sign of active fermentation. It only means that CO2 is coming out solution, much like the beer bubbles in your glass.

Back