Sherry Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bierhaus15

Reaction score
On a whim I picked up a vial of WLP700 (Sherry Flor) yesterday, thinking I might be able to use it in some type of sour beer. However, it seems sherry flor may have a somewhat limited use in brewing due to the oxidative nature of the yeast.

Therefore, has anyone used sherry flor in a beer before? How did it turn out? I was thinking it might be nice in a strong/dark old ale or some type of wine/beer hybrid.

Yes, several times

http://ryanbrews.blogspot.com/2010/12/athos-biere-de-garde-fermented-with.html
http://ryanbrews.blogspot.com/2012/02/mazarin-sour-cherries-sherry-flor-and.html

My advice is to build up a big starter, and ferment it a bit warmer. My first go at it (athos) is good but doesnt have as much yeast character as I would like. Early on it displayed quite a bit more, but it cleaned up with age.

Also, Ive been playing with wine yeast in beer quite a bit, and depending on mash temp they can leave a beer quite sweet. (wont ferment maltotriose) Mashing high and adding something like sugar or grape must is a good idea, as you get a lot of residual sugar to balance the "beer"

Hey, thanks for the reply. Interesting that you used it for the primary yeast, the thought of doing that hadn't even crossed my mind. I was more thinking along the lines of adding it to the secondary. But...if I can use it as a primary yeast, all the better.

Also, how long would you estimate it took the flor to complete its fermentation? Am I going to have to set aside a carboy for a whole year for this one? Lastly, did you notice much oxidative type flavors as a result of this yeast? I was sorta hoping to replicate some of those walnut and deep caramel flavors present in a good quality Oloroso sherry.

Also, how long would you estimate it took the flor to complete its fermentation? Am I going to have to set aside a carboy for a whole year for this one? Lastly, did you notice much oxidative type flavors as a result of this yeast? I was sorta hoping to replicate some of those walnut and deep caramel flavors present in a good quality Oloroso sherry.

It was rather quick, though there was a bit of a lag (probably too low a cell count to start) My regular beers I usually let sit in primary 3-4wks, mostly because Im lazy, and this one was no different, although I think I let it go an extra 2wks due to the yeast and gravity

There are some nougat and licorice notes in the beer as it is now, but its difficult to discern whether they are yeast derived or from the sugars in the beer, in the second beer it had a much stronger spicy flavor (maybe it mutated?) but I haven't tasted it since I racked it to a keg

If you read about sherry production they actually let the sherry get exposed to lots of oxygen, usually only partially filling the barrels they use. Sherry is also produced in a solera system, and the final product is quite old when its blended and bottled. The flor are also reportedly difficult to get to develop, especially on a homebrew scale. There is only a narrow range of alcohol content that the flor will form in 16% is the sweet spot, but 17.5% and its killed.

From what Ive read the wine makers often let parts of the flor fall back into the wine as its said to release more flavor.

I dunno about you, but I dont drink many 16% beers (although I have made at least 1 fortified beer) so if you decide to try get the flor to form, maybe you only brew a small portion at that high a gravity, and then use it to blend into a low abv batch to cut the alcohol a bit?

If you do this I'll be very interested in hearing your experiences, the last time I looked around there wasnt anybody else on the webs that had posted about using flor sherry in beer

About to throw the WL Flor Sherry Yeast and a big mixed culture together in an american oak barrel for a fermentation and then a long slumber. Yeast will be a mix of belgian wy 3711 & 1762, old roselare/dreg blend i've brought back to life from bottles, brett L, WL sherry yeast, and for schnits and giggles I'm gonna throw in some other newer dregs. Should be an interesting brew after a few years.

Will report back if you do!!

Its a big boy 53 gal KY barrel. Big plans to fill that on Black Friday! Its weird Spaniards prefer american oak for Sherry casks.
You've gotta wonder how much Sherry yeast plays a part in lambic if Belgians do in fact prefer Sherry casks!? I love port & rochefort so Sherry & lambic may be next progression.

Hey Jessup, have you sampled that brew yet? Planning a similar thing with an apple wine.

I can see how the sherry yeast would contribute some complexity and protection from oxidation in the Roeselare blend.

I wonder what would happen if sherry yeast was added to a HUGE barleywine and left in a barrel for an extended period of time. Might need to add some simple sugars when the beer yeast craps out to provide something for the sherry yeast to work on.

Back