First attempt at kegging is not going well

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emericuh

Reaction score
Hello, all. First, despite this being my first post, I have been a long time lurker and am so thankful to all of you who regularly post on this forum. It has been a lifesaver to me many, many times.

Now, on to my current predicament. I recently purchased some equipment to begin kegging. I've been brewing for about a year, so this is obviously a big milestone for me. Because I am impatient, I was hoping to force carb, but have run in to a problem.

I attached the line to the keg, set the tank to 30 psi, and could hear co2 entering the keg. After about 10 seconds, though, air began to escape rapidly through the pressure valve(?) on the lid of the keg (the raised dealy on the center). I pressed on a poppet and let all the co2 escape, rechecked all of the connections, etc, then tried again. Same thing.

The lid does not have a manual relief valve, see pic below. Am I doing something wrong?

wNKKEH0.jpg

I believe you have what is called a static relief valve that is suppose to release at 60 psi. If it is leaking it probably needs to be replaced. I'm on my phone so I can't link the page, but search homebrewtalk for static relief valve, there are a few how to guides.

From a quick google search it looks like you have a static pressure relief valve. That is the style used on Coke (as opposed to Pepsi kegs). It will relieve pressure when it is too high. I say set the PSI to the highest level that does not result in pressure releasing.

Great, guys. I will do a bit of searching on static relief valves. Thanks for the help. I will give you an update!

edit: Even at a minimal psi, it continues to leak from the static relief valve. Does anyone know a way to fix this or should I just go buy a new lid at the LHBS?

Look on the bottom of the lid, there should be a square hole, find something that fits and carefully remove by turning, remove the valve, take it a part and clean it, this might solve your problem but you may need a replacement.

When the Coke valves go they need to be reset or replaced. You bought ball lock keg and should have manual pressure release valve (Pepsi type) . Two of my kegs are Coke kegs and it sucks correcting pressure with them. Wish I never mixed types in my inventory. You might check with your vendor as to why he sold you a ball lock keg with a pin lock pressure relief.

When the Coke valves go they need to be reset or replaced. You bought ball lock keg and should have manual pressure release valve (Pepsi type) . Two of my kegs are Coke kegs and it sucks correcting pressure with them. Wish I never mixed types in my inventory. You might check with your vendor as to why he sold you a ball lock keg with a pin lock pressure relief.

This is what I thought too, a Pepsi ball-lock with a Coke release valve?

I'd say take it apart, clean it, and then lube it when you put it back together.

Back