capper problems

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheCollector

Reaction score
My wife and I were bottling our third batch the other night and halfway through the capper started acting up. It didn't want to cap all the way down and we ended up breaking 3 bottles and then it started working ok again..... So what happened? Is it broken after only 3 uses? (emily capper btw)

It sounds like you're using bottles you harvested instead of bought from a homebrew store. The Emily red is my favorite capper, but it's limited in the bottles it can cap. The most standard design which I call the Sam Adams bottle is the best one for that capper. If you look at a Sam Adams bottle, the distance from the top to the ridge at the top of the neck is crucial for an Emily to cap tightly.

After many uses, my capper no longer works with lagunitas bottles because the distance from the lip to that ridge is too short. I've never had a problem with screw-tops.

+1 on the gap to the ridge below the cap. Also the red wing cappers sometimes need a small shot of wd40 or something on its pivot points. I had that same problem on 2nd or 3rd batch but not since.

I have a couple different cappers, and have noticed some bottles just don't work well. When I first started brewing I used bottle bought from from the brew supply, and many were very thin and broke, for many years now I have only been using Corona bottles and find they work flawless.

Those plastic cappers are actually cheap when you consider how important they are to the final process. I have a spare, just in case something happens to my main capper. I bought the spare for 4 bucks at a yard sale. Even new ones, Red Baron at $16 and a Black Beauty at $12 , is cheap insurance.....get a spare.

I use a "wing" capper (the black one) as well and find that bottles which have a narrow "collar" below the capping ring are often a problem.

Last time I used it, I ran out of clean wide-collar bottles and had to use a few of the narrow ones (which also seem to be thinner glass). Even though I lubed the bell with cooking spray and was very gentle, I cracked three and had to pour some chocolate stout down the drain.:mad: I then went through my entire bottle collection and purged it of those problem bottles. Now when a friend or co-worker brings me a gift of empties, I don't even bother cleaning/de-labelling those kind. I just toss them. I'm seriously considering a bench capper even though I keg most of my brew.

Latest posts

Back