So, are my rhizomes going to die?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

disney7

Reaction score
Two weeks ago I prepared an area and planted rhizomes for five different hops.

They were very good (large with little buds starting) rhizomes. I planted each two to three inches deep in its own large hole (1.5' diameter by 2' deep) filled with a mixture of compost and top soil. The weather was in the 60's.

Then.... we got a cold snap. Never got out of the 40's during the day and we had several nights in a row in the 20's. Also got a good amount of rain during the same period.

I know it wouldn't be a problem if they were established.

Do you guys think they will make it?

Will do.

I would have started them indoors if I had known the weather would turn cold. As it was, I planted them the day after they arrived in the mail from Freshhops.

I just have no idea how long they can tolerate being in the ground and not growing. I know if you plant potatoes too soon they will rot in the ground before they can grow.

We've also had two or three soaking (almost flood-like) rains in the last couple of weeks, but the area where they are planted drains pretty well (no standing water), so I'm crossing my fingers.

As we harvest rhizomes they go into cold storage right around 32 so you'll be fine.

Too much water at this point will harm them more than any amount of cold temperature.

They made it!

image-2889786933.jpg

See....hardy suckers huh?

I never covered mine, and it has since snowed twice at about 1" each and hasn't gotten above 45°F during the day in a few weeks. All of mine are still pushing up.

I have a similar concern, I planted a centennial too early and had a cold snap with snow. It was started inside and had maybe a 2" sprout. It now looks wilted. There were multiple smaller buds of the rhizome below the surface. Should I cut back the wilted sprout and bet on another coming up?

I have a similar concern, I planted a centennial too early and had a cold snap with snow. It was started inside and had maybe a 2" sprout. It now looks wilted. There were multiple smaller buds of the rhizome below the surface. Should I cut back the wilted sprout and bet on another coming up?

I think they will be fine. The most important thing for a rhizome is to NOT water them too much. They don't have a large root system, and cannot use much water at all. Too much and they just turn to mush.

Second, I would say give them some light shade for a few weeks. An old white cotton shirt, stretched over some stakes works good.

I will try that. Thanks for the tip!
Should I cut off the wilted shoot our just leave it? It is getting darker in color and softer to the touch. The rhizome was a fairly decent size. Forecasts are saying there will be another cold front come through with snow next week. I dug it up and potted it. Indoors now till the weather is more predictable.

Well, I have an update:

Northern Brewer and Fuggle are doing great. Both are getting close to a foot high now.

Wilamete and Golding look good, but just have a few small leaves and haven't sent bines up very far, maybe an inch.

The cascade is dead. It sent a bine up about four inches and then started wilting and died.

I planed all of these about 5' apart, in a 2' deep by 1.5' diameter hole filled with a mixture of topsoil and compost. The entire area drains at the same rate, gets the same sun, and has gotten the same amount of water.

Any idea what might have happened? I planted two Cascade rhizomes in that hole and neither made it (the other never came out of the ground). They were planted about three inches deep.

I've ordered a couple more rhizomes, so I'll try again.

Man looking at this thread is depressing for mine here in Oregon!

I planted 2x3 rhizome varieties back at the start of April and the biggest (cascade) is only maybe 3 inches at this point, the others are either just breaking ground or just still small.

Granted we havent really had much in sun here since then, i'm hoping next weeks forecasted sun will get mine going like yours!

So, how much water should these (new) guys get a week?

The Northern Brewer and Fuggle are the tallest by far, but are starting to look a little yellow. Wilamete and Golding look good, but haven't really grown any lately, they seem to be stunted at an inch or two out of the ground. I replanted the Cascade which died for some reason.

We've had rain at least once a week lately. Do they need more frequent light watering?

Should I fertilize them or do something like miracle grow?

Should I just leave them heck alone? :cross:

So, how much water should these (new) guys get a week?

The Northern Brewer and Fuggle are the tallest by far, but are starting to look a little yellow. Wilamete and Golding look good, but haven't really grown any lately, they seem to be stunted at an inch or two out of the ground. I replanted the Cascade which died for some reason.

We've had rain at least once a week lately. Do they need more frequent light watering?

Should I fertilize them or do something like miracle grow?

Should I just leave them heck alone? :cross:

If they are turning yellow, this is often indicative of too much water. When they get too much water, and they are saturated all the time, their roots do not get oxygen and they basically suffocate......we turn blue/purple/red in the face, whereas plants turn light green/yellow/whitish. ;)

Oh, and to answer your question on watering....MSU publications I go by say approximately 6 gal/week the first year and 16 gal/week (over a couple waterings) the second year, during the hottest parts of the season.

more details here: watering schedule thread

:mug:

Any suggestions for my golding plant? It looks sickly and just never grew. It's been ravaged by bugs while I was out of town and just looks like crap. I am taking it out of the pot and planting it in the ground tomorrow hoping that may help I dunno. Think it may be a loss.

Also the rest of my plants all have stalled I don't know what's up cuz this is my first attempt at growing ill post pics I'm a minutes

image-1740005502.jpg

It's just a bush that's never taken off. We have gotten way to much rain these last few weeks I'm wondering if that may have been a problem causing all my plants to stall. I want to plant them all on the ground soon but thinking I may need to wait till next season. All my plants are crowns from great lakes hops so I believe they are first year plants? I assume not to expect much anyways this year but is like to salvage this plant. Any ideas are appreciated

Attachments

• image-4000384188.jpg
    image-4000384188.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 59
Back