Mold in the bottles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jarhno

Reaction score
Hey Brewers,

I bottled a hazelnut brown ale kit on 4/1 and just checked my bottles today. There seems to be white-ish speckles on the surface of the beer in the bottle. As I moved the bottles around (gently) a few of the speckles seemed to drop to the bottom, but most stayed on top.

It seems all of the bottles have it. Which begs the question...

Do I have moldy beer?

Maybe. You can mail a case to:
917 N American St
Visalia, Ca 93291

And a panel of experienced taste testers will report their results.

Or you can just wait the 3 weeks and try it yourself....

Just stuff from the yeast acting on the carbonating sugar. After a week or two (at the right temperature) give them a swirl and it all should settle to the bottom. Let it compact down for a week or so and pop a few in the fridge.

Remember that bottle carbonated beers will have a layer of yeasty stuff on the bottom and if you don't want it in your glass just pour it gently, leaving the cloudy stuff behind.

bosco

Bosco's right, you're seeing the normal process of bottle conditioned beers, both homebrew and commercial ones. What's happening in your bottles is happening to that expensive Belgian Quad that someone on here is planning to harvest the yeast from after drinking the beer. Or that bottle of Bell's Amber, or Hoegaarden, or Jolly Pumpkin (for sour dregs.)

Back