Plastic Buckets - Really that bad?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

betzbrew

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I did a double brew day yesterday, a 5 gal batch each of brown porter and american amber (my boss gave me the day off to brew for the squadron - yea yea :ban:)

I have been using my glass carboy recently, but due to tight budget (im military), I only have one, which is currently occupied. I went back to my older equipment I used when I first started and used the plastic buckets.

Today I checked to make sure fermentation had started, and was surprised to see no bubbles - I'd made big starters on my stirplate and I had no reason to imagine why fermentation would be lagging so much.

I cracked the lid on the bucket and saw the sweet sight of krausen - fermentation was proceeding just fine. I can only assume that the seal on the tops of the plastic buckets just isn't perfect.

I don't see this as a big deal at all though, as CO2 is heavier than air, so even if I don't use a secondary (which I usually don't unless I'm dry hopping), I can't imagine having a problem with oxidation even after 4 weeks in primary before I keg.

Anyone see big problems ever with not perfectly airtight plastic buckets?

It will be fine. If you get overly concerned and want to see bubbles just tape the seam. The beer won't care.

So I did a double brew day yesterday, a 5 gal batch each of brown porter and american amber (my boss gave me the day off to brew for the squadron - yea yea :ban:)

I have been using my glass carboy recently, but due to tight budget (im military), I only have one, which is currently occupied. I went back to my older equipment I used when I first started and used the plastic buckets.

Today I checked to make sure fermentation had started, and was surprised to see no bubbles - I'd made big starters on my stirplate and I had no reason to imagine why fermentation would be lagging so much.

I cracked the lid on the bucket and saw the sweet sight of krausen - fermentation was proceeding just fine. I can only assume that the seal on the tops of the plastic buckets just isn't perfect.

I don't see this as a big deal at all though, as CO2 is heavier than air, so even if I don't use a secondary (which I usually don't unless I'm dry hopping), I can't imagine having a problem with oxidation even after 4 weeks in primary before I keg.

Anyone see big problems ever with not perfectly airtight plastic buckets?

Nope, I do 95% of my fermentations in buckets, including lagering, never had a problem.

Some people just sit the lids on top without even clicking them down so I wouldn't worry about it. Like you said co2 is protecting the beer so as long as stuff isn't floating into the beer it'll be fine. Good luck!

I have racked up hundreds of brews mostly 3 - 6 gallons and have never owned glass. Only use plastic fermenters. Never had an issue.
Many Australians throw away the top and just cover with cling wrap.

While a bucket that seals firmly is reassuring, I don't think it really matters all that much. During active fermentation, the co2 pushing out will probably prevent air getting in.

I do suggest that you try to resist the urge to keep opening and checking, though. :D

Just leave it alone, the yeast knows what it's doing. :)

One of my buckets doesn't seal completely, so there is never any airlock activity when I use it (with one exception, see below). I've made about a dozen batches in that bucket, all turned out fine, no infections. Positive pressure from fermentation and the blanket of CO2 are generally enough to counteract small leaks.

I've also found recently that if I put a bit of weight on the lid (a few strategically placed bottles), then that takes care of the seal problem and I see airlock activity.... Not that I had a problem when it wasn't properly sealed, mind you.

My bucket gives my no outward signs of fermentation and it drives me batsh*t crazy every time...but it ferments none the less, and makes darn good brew.

My bucket gives my no outward signs of fermentation and it drives me batsh*t crazy every time...but it ferments none the less, and makes darn good brew.
Early in my brewing career this drove me so crazy I bought Better Bottles. Now I can watch. :ban:

My last 10 gallon batch never even made it out of the keggle! I forgot to wash my auto siphon And mix up some starsan so I said the hell with it and pitched the yeast! It finished fermentation today so tomorrow I will rack to carboys for aging.

So all these replies beg the question:

Is contamination really an issue? How many people have gotten a sure-as-hell 100% contamination (no doubts)?

1) CO2 is both pushing out, giving a pressure in the bottle making it difficult for anything to get in
2) You are adding millions of yeast to out-compete any few bacteria/fungi that could get in by million fold.
3) You are creating a mostly an-aerobic environment, which is also limiting of many fungi and bacteria.

So... has anyone here actually got an irreversible contamination?

So all these replies beg the question:

Is contamination really an issue? How many people have gotten a sure-as-hell 100% contamination (no doubts)?

1) CO2 is both pushing out, giving a pressure in the bottle making it difficult for anything to get in
2) You are adding millions of yeast to out-compete any few bacteria/fungi that could get in by million fold.
3) You are creating a mostly an-aerobic environment, which is also limiting of many fungi and bacteria.

nope, contamination is just a myth. there is no such thing as mold or "bad" bacteria... on a more serious note, it does happen. start chilling your ipa, and take a 3 hour nap, and see what happens

IJesusChrist said:

Yes it is absolutely an issue. The risk may be slightly overblown at times (beer is surprisingly resilient), but considering the sheer time investment required to make a single batch of beer, it pays to be extra cautious.

None of my beers have ever suffered from contamination, but I have seen/tasted some else's that was certainly contaminated. It was quite disgusting. The guy hadn't sanitized any of his bottles, so as we were drinking them, we discovered about 2/3 were fine, and 1/3 had a horrible funky flavor/smell and some sort of growth. It was like playing Russian Roulette We were both newbies at the time, so I couldn't. be more specific than that, but it was definitely some kind of contamination.

Latest posts

Back