Restarting fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wagwag

Reaction score
I started a batch of mead about 2.5 months ago, noticed fermentation seemed to have stopped (no vapor lock action and all yeast was hanging at the bottom), so I racked it, did a hydrometer reading, and it fermented maybe to 1/3 of my goal. I went out and got another packet of wyeast dry mead yeast, aerated it and I havnt seen any action. Did I skip a step or something?

I hear the "mead yeasts" are pretty fickle buggers. Can you post a little more about your recipe?

Honey, volume, yeast, other additions? And the gravity readings.

Gotta give us some details for us to really be able to help. I agree with MarshmallowBlue on this one though. Mead yeasts are problematic and finish at a low alcohol content for the most part. Post the recipe and we'll try to help some more. Gravity readings would also be nice.

3 gal batch

10lb orange blossom honey
1 of each, clove, cinnamon, dried pomegranate, orange.
Wyeast (4021 champagne)
1.15 starting gravity

I have a somewhat similar batch going now. Same amounts (no pomegranate) & SG. I used WLP715. After 3 weeks mine is down to 1.050 and it is still going. I have kept it about 72 degrees. I also used some raisins and a little yeast nutrient at the beginning. It might be a nutrient thing?

Honey has little to no nutrition for the yeast to pick up on. It's mostly just sugar. Joe's Ancient Orange Mead works very well because it contains raisins and oranges, giving the yeast some nutrients to work with. Try adding some nutrients and possibly upping your ferment temp if it's below 70. That should get you back on track. It hasn't produced any off smells or anything, has it?

With an OG of 1.150, you are giving your yeast a hell of a job...if you're going to use liquid yeast, you will get best results from making an appropriate size starter to be sure you're pitching enough healthy yeast to do the job, you also need to aerate/oxygenate the bejesus out of the pig, use staggered nutrient additions, and degas frequently during primary to get the CO2 out. Warmer temps may help, but if you can get things going at lower temps (high 60's) you will be better off.

To clarify, you started out with Wyeast 4012, then repitched 4632 (dry mead strain)? I don't know much about/have never used 4012, but the Wyeast Dry strain is a beast, has been my 'go-to' yeast for most meads, and it will easily go to 18%...the supposedly "fickle" one is the Wyeast Sweet strain (4184)

Back