What's in your fermenter(s)?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A German Pale Ale that has finally showed signs of life after 24 hr. Yeast was kolsh reaching its best by date,not to mention shipped in frozen temps ,which never arrived froze.Did notice a half size of yeast compared to the other vial and a darker color currently unlike before. Pretty stoked now,I ended up puttting yeast engerizer in it 4 hrs before I seen it start.Nice white cap finally.I did have to crank my temps to 70's to get it going to help also. Ideally I would have made a starter but I only had time to make the beer impromtu.Only a 1.5 gallon also so..thought maybe I would be good there(apparently not) starters are definalty good.I almost always do a starter with wlp vials,whether harvesting or making a batch.

Last weekend:

Saison and a brown ale (don't judge the pink room)

This weekend:

Berlinerweisse, 1 gal racked onto mixed berries for ferm.

image-460973615.jpg

image-584327965.jpg

Currently

5.25 gallons of American Pale Ale in Primary Bucket
5.50 gallons of Pino Grisio White Wine in secondary in Carboy

I thought I'd do this as a quick, informal poll. Who knows -- might pick up an idea for the next batch! :D

Right now, I've got a Miller Light clone in the primary, using this recipe as a base. My variation is using Northern Brewer (7.9% AA) at the boil, otherwise following the recipe. I brewed it yesterday.

What you got?
10 gallons of American Premium Lager
10 gallons of Cream of Three Crops
10 gallons of Irish Hills Red
5 gallons Rippin Orange Wheat

5 gallons of Selins Grove Shadow Mountain Oatmeal Stout Clone

5.5 gallons of a Magnum/Centennial/Chinook IPA recipe I have been working on. Took a reading yesterday and its about 2 points away and the krausen was still going. Hydrometer tube sample tasted awesome, very floral and balanced. Should be even better after I dry hop :ban:

I think an imperial stout might be something for the late summer to have it ready for the colder days. I'll try it

Just got my partial mash NZ IPA in the fermenter a lil while ago. Healthy 1.060OG too. Gunna dry hop it with the .8oz each I have left of the Motueka,pacifica,& wakatu I used for flavor hop additions. Bittered with pacific gem. Used UK grains with some crystal & carapils. Tried a pound of demerara sugar to get it up to minimum American IPA gravity according to BS2. Needed more than the 3lbs of Munton's plain light DME for this one.
Relaxing with my reward of some of my dark hybrid lagers.:tank:

Batch of Lakefront IPA clone(getting bottled in about 2 hours) and a IIPA recipe I came up with...Hoping to refill at least one of them next weekend!

A new ESB is in the Secondary, and I just brewed (yesterday) a Angry Monster IPA. Brewsmith calculated 147 IBUs... yum!

Bottled a 1.5 gal German IPa today sample was very good for overusing german hops, I have another one 2.5 gal with different german hops/base malt German pale malt instead of the german kolsh malt this time in the fermenter for next weekend going to dryhopp with Hallertau I think.Im likeing the Kolsh yeast so far.

I think the yeast took a beating being shipped in frezzing temps though a few months ago,that and one of the vials had half of what the other had in it plus it was right at its best by date and the color was getting darker.Good thing for starters. I was a bit worried about that one it had a pretty long lag but it finished at an unexpected .007. I guess the yeast energizer Ive been using or starters are making them attenuate too good Im getting like 80-85%attenuation on them latley.And finishing lower than I wanted them also.More abv I guess making up for my weaker Brewhouse efficency or having a bit too much overall volume- because I was thinking of trying to make up for the hop/trub loss. I measured out my hop/trub and on a 2.5 gallon batch it was about one gallon left behind but I still got my volume just less OG than planned.

Nothing :'( just bottled a big IPA, with honey, citra and aromatic malt. Next weekend doing a tripel with American hops, and an imperial red with rye and more citra!

Havent played with the kolsch yeast, but Halletaur is a great hop! My father in-law and I have our own hop gardens and his halletaur may be my favorite homegrown hop yet!

With the 147 IBU... I had an old friend over yesterday who has never brewed, and he wanted to brew a really hoppy one... I'd say we did just that!

image-4151911731.jpg

I used Safbrew t-58 yeast for this batch. I pitched it a little over 3 hours ago. I'm already getting a lot of activity. The airlock is really bubbling away.

Got a Belgian Quad chugging away...interesting technique actually.

After 24 hrs of active fermentation: To each carboy, I added 1 gal water with 2 lbs dissolved/boiled and cooled belgian candi sugar.....did it again at 48 hrs.

Supposedly, this keeps the sugar levels from overwhelming the yeasties while it ferments to the anticipated 11-12% ABV.

(first time trying this recipe though)

5.5 g chocolate porter racking to secondary with coco nibs tomorrow. (coco nibs been soaking in bourbon for a week now).
5.5 gal esb
Brewing a cream ale tomorrow also.

Belgian honey wit
Cream Stout
Bavarian Wheat
Imperial Stout
IPA in bottle conditioning
on deck when the Imperial vacates the primary is an Aussie Light Ale

5 Gallons of an American Amber - about a week left till bottling
5 Gallons of Kolsch - 2 weeks away from bottling
5 Gallons of Irish Stout - about 3 weeks away from bottling

10 gallons of Premium American Lager (K&D Special Lager) First real lager
10 gallons of Lite American Lager (Lazy Day Lager)
10 gallons of Irish Hills Red
Just kegged 5 gallons of Rippin Orange Wheat last night

Finally drinking the IIPA I posted about earlier and damn is it amazing. Got an ENGLISH IIPA rockin with WLP007 as we speak. Should be ready for a dry hop this weekend, but we'll see.

Back