How to find abv without og reading

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rydia131

Reaction score
How can you calculate abv% without having OG reading and only FG reading?

if you have Beer smith and you put in all your ingredients in and exactly what you did it will give you an estimate. it will no be exactly what your abv is but will be close

If you're doing an extract batch, and you topped off with water to the exact amount, you go by the og reading in the recipe, or in beersmith, since extract batches are foolproof. You get what the creator of the kit or recipe got, since you're not converting yourself.

If it's AG or Partial Mash and you know your efficiency, or what your efficiency is set for, then you can approximate enough based on your recipe to know.

Revvy said:
If you're doing an extract batch, and you topped off with water to the exact amount, you go by the og reading in the recipe, or in beersmith, since extract batches are foolproof. You get what the creator of the kit or recipe got, since you're not converting yourself.

If it's AG or Partial Mash and you know your efficiency, or what your efficiency is set for, then you can approximate enough based on your recipe to know.

I couldnt see the OG reading in the recipe anywhere. I looked on midwest's site and didnt see it either

Start with an educated guess, let's say 6%. Drink 3 of your beers and see how you feel. Wait 3 hours, have lunch, then drink 3 commercial microbrews with a stated ABV of 6%. Feel the same? If so, yours has 6%. If not, try a microbrew with higher or lower ABV, I suggest going lower first. Drink 3, then compare. You may need to recalibrate by drinking another 3 of your own. If the microbrew seems weak, try going higher. Again, drink 3 of your own to calibrate, then 3 microbrews at 7%. Keep doing this until you get a match. Good luck! :drunk:

1042 to 1046, its listed as SG (starting gravity) its in the instructions for irish red ale on the midwest website

doby said:
1042 to 1046, its listed as SG (starting gravity) its in the instructions for irish red ale on the midwest website

Thanks man! I musta missed it. Appreciate the help

Back