No bubbles no krausen. Talk me down

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cavarooter

Reaction score
I brewed my first all grain beer yesterday. It's an IPA and I used bry97. It's been 20 hours and I've only seen one bubble come out of the blow off tube. There's no krausen and only a little bit of condensation in the tubing. I know it's still early but this is the first time I haven't seen any signs in the fermentation process. I also used fermcap foam stopper. Do you think that has anything to do with it? Oh and I pitched at the right temp. When, if when should I think about repitching

Give it a couple more days.

Did you rehydrate your dry yeast or just sprinkle dry?

how big a beer and how much of it?

one possibility is that if you underpitched, the yeast are busy reproducing. they'll get out of the lag phase and kick thing up eventually.

Do a search on this forum for the words lag and BRY97. You'll find several. I made a smash a few weeks ago and tried BRY97. Even with O2 an rehydration, I had over 48 hours between pitch and visible signs of fermentation. The beer turned out well.

Don't worry.

Delayed fermentation is common. I have had to wait 24 hours or more to see signs many times in the past. All kinds of different things that can delay it. After 3 days and you still don't see much going on, pitch more yeast.

BigFloyd said:
By "how big", sweetcell was asking you what the OG (original gravity) of the wort was. That has an effect on how much yeast would be appropriate for a 5-gallon batch.

The OG was 1.082

winvarin said:
Do a search on this forum for the words lag and BRY97. You'll find several. I made a smash a few weeks ago and tried BRY97. Even with O2 an rehydration, I had over 48 hours between pitch and visible signs of fermentation. The beer turned out well.

Don't worry.

That makes me feel better

The OG was 1.082
for a 5 gallon batch of 1.082, mrmalty.com recommends 16 grams of dry yeast (or about one and half packs). so your single pack was an under-pitch. the delay in seeing any action could be due to the long lag time required for the yeast to multiply and achieve the proper population before launching into full fermentation.

sweetcell said:
for a 5 gallon batch of 1.082, mrmalty.com recommends 16 grams of dry yeast (or about one and half packs). so your single pack was an under-pitch. the delay in seeing any action could be due to the long lag time required for the yeast to multiply and achieve the proper population before launching into full fermentation.

Should I think about pitching some more or just let it sit? Will it hurt it that I under pitched?

cavarooter said:
Should I think about pitching some more or just let it sit? Will it hurt it that I under pitched?

At this point I wouldn't. Once it gets going BRY 97 tears through sugar like a starving teenager. Chances are its already growing to meet the size of its food source. By the time you bought the yeast, got home, prepped and pitched it, it would likely already have a krausen.

I wouldn't panic just yet, this particular strain does take a while to grow. If there's no action after the 72 hour mark then I'd consider pitching again.

I brewed my first all grain beer yesterday. It's an IPA and I used bry97. It's been 20 hours and I've only seen one bubble come out of the blow off tube. There's no krausen and only a little bit of condensation in the tubing. I know it's still early but this is the first time I haven't seen any signs in the fermentation process. I also used fermcap foam stopper. Do you think that has anything to do with it? Oh and I pitched at the right temp. When, if when should I think about repitching

I just used bry-97 for the first time on Saturday... 24 hours later; NOTHING!

I saw a slight Krausen at 48 hours... OH... and its OG was 1.04...

I cast a package of US-05 on top because I am not taking any chances.

I have a post from yesterday and the response I got and the others I have seen about this yeast;;; indicate it is a slow starter.

I brewed two batches and used Nottingham on the other and it was going strong at 24 hours....

I had never used eaither US-05 or bry-97 and just wanted to try them... my next batch of the same beer I will try just US-05

After 30 hrs of nothing I come he from work to find this beautiful sight!

image-2895507763.jpg

I brewed an IPA on Saturday with OG 1.070.

I rehydrated and pitched BRY 97.

After 24 hours there were no signs of fermentation. I thought that the yeast was bad - I got it from a friend and don't know if he stored it correctly.

So I thought that I would have to pitch more yeast. This was on Sunday. (LHBS closed).

I then chilled the beer down to 6C thinking that it would help avoid infection while i waited to get more yeast.

I went and got some S05 this morning and I've been waiting for the beer temp to rise to back to pitching temperature... my plan was then to pitch the s05.

Reading these posts I am thinking that I should not have panicked and rather given the Bry97 more time.

What should I do now?

I chilled the beer to 6 C. Have i ruined the yeast?

Should I now raise the temperature and wait to see if the BRY 97 takes off, or should I pitch the S05?

thanks!

As I'm posting this it's now 48 hours since i brewed this IPA...

It's was chilled to 6 C for around 18 hours.

the BRY 97 was busy reproducing when you chilled it and made it go dormant. it was expending its energy on cell division, not on preparations for hibernation... so what you didn't wasn't optimal for the yeast, but you didn't kill it (completely). i would bring you brew back up to fermentation temps, that should wake up the yeast. i'd also consider pitching 1/3 to 1/2 of a pack of US-05, just to make sure you have enough cells in there.

the BRY 97 was busy reproducing when you chilled it and made it go dormant. it was expending its energy on cell division, not on preparations for hibernation... so what you didn't wasn't optimal for the yeast, but you didn't kill it (completely). i would bring you brew back up to fermentation temps, that should wake up the yeast. i'd also consider pitching 1/3 to 1/2 of a pack of US-05, just to make sure you have enough cells in there.

ok, thanks. I've been waiting for it to reach fermentation temp for a few hours now. I'll pitch some more yeast once it gets there.

I was worried about this yesterday as I've never had yeast start so slowly. Normally if I brew in the evening and pitch S05 fermentation is well on it's way the next morning.

The Danstar website states that BRY 97 has a quick start... :cross:

Back