WSM Advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EHV

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've been using my Masterbuilt Electric for a few years now. I'm happy to an extent with the results. I like the ease of just setting it and going, but the addition of wood chips quite often gets old. I usually do ribs, butts, a brisket on occasion and salmon. Its small, and I have come to realize there really is no substitute for a good charcoal and wood smoke.
Everyone says it is easy to maintain temperature, but being skeptical, I find it hard to believe since dealing with my Weber grill I find it sometimes difficult to get a desired target. So, completely honest, how hard/easy is it? Aside from a digital meat thermometer, do you guys add anything else to the unit to make it more reliable?
The BGE is out of the questions as I would feel obligated to cook Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner on it for a year straight to not feel guilty about spending that much money.

I found my propane unit (2-door) with a big water pan to be easy to maintain temps and it put out lots of nice smoke. Charcoal seems like too much of a pain fiddling with vents and all.

With my kamado in set the vents per the temperature table and walk away. Come back 12+ hours to the same temp. No additional fuel or anything.

I'll let you know next week. Just got my 18.5 WSM today and will be smoking a chicken and a ham on Tuesday

By pretty much, how solid are you talking? I just did a shoulder in my Masterbuilt and it took roughly 16 hours. Will a WSM last that long and keep temp with a full basket of coal?
How much does ambient temp affect the smoker once its up and going?

I did a 5lb chicken in mine today using half a basket of charcoal, went for 4.5 hours and I still had plenty of charcoal left. It was raining today and it had no affect on it what so ever. Here is a good website I've found for information

http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/

With a full ring of charcoal, my 18.5 will hold 225-275 for 12+ hours in moderate (60+) temps. When doing a butt, I usually start early in the morning, get the WSM up to temperature, put on the butt, and go back to sleep. When I wake up 2-3 hours later, it's holding the same temperature.

I LOVE my WSM.

Oh, and second the virtualweberbullet site.

Do you guys see a need for the larger version or stick with the 18.5?
Most likely only do a butt or 2 at the most. Venison, Few racks of ribs, few salmon fillets is my past experiences.

18 uses less fuel. I have 22 and it works just as well as 18 but uses more fuel. I often cook for 30+.

Great information guys. I appreciate the help.
Now I must decide, a new Trap Gun, a Trijicon ACOG for the new AR, or a WSM.....decisions

Great information guys. I appreciate the help.
Now I must decide, a new Trap Gun, a Trijicon ACOG for the new AR, or a WSM.....decisions

Skip the ACOG and go with an EoTech. Then get the WSM

Skip the ACOG and go with an EoTech. Then get the WSM

I second this, either get an Eotech (my favorite) or an Aimpoint and then the WSM. Best of both worlds. The ACOGs are cool but depending on what you're using your rifle for the other two options are better I think.

Do you guys see a need for the larger version or stick with the 18.5?
Most likely only do a butt or 2 at the most. Venison, Few racks of ribs, few salmon fillets is my past experiences.
The 18.5 will easily handle that, capacity-wise. Depending on the size of the butts (< 8 lbs each), I'm pretty sure you could fit 3 on each rack. The only problem I've had with the 18.5 is that racks of ribs are sometimes longer than the racks are wide, and I've had to start the ribs with part of them folded over. Still taste damn good.

I have to cut the ribs in half on the Masterbuilt I use so I'm not offended to cutting them in halves. Are briskets an issue in regards to size? Such as "packers"? Also spatchcocked (sp?) chickens? Thinking the 18.5 is the rack diameter?

Eotech really isn't an option without the magnifier due to wanting to go out to around 200 yards for whistle pigs. Not to mention being somewhat young, and my eyes already suck, so magnification is an added bit of help.

Latest posts

Back