Most annoying response when you tell someone you're a homebrewer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The guys I work with,... I've gotten to the point that I don't talk about my beer. They bum more of it than I get. They love it, but don't offer anything in return.

pb --- I like that they love it tho. :mug::ban:

For me it's an annual thing right around September someone always asks if I "can make them a pumpkin beer"? I effing HATE pumpkin beer. Blech.

I just bought my first fermentor 4 days ago, and already I've gotten 3 "My uncle used to make his own moonshine."

Just more proof that all of these Carolina hillbillies really are related.

What I wouldn't give for a bottle of some old Carolina hillbilly's moonshine.

Far from annoying, but one I've gotten several times: "Are you a member of the guild yet?"
Once I got, "Which homebrew store do you shop at? Oh, my roommate is friends with one of the owners."

God I love Wisconsin.

invivoSaccharomyces said:
Once I got, "Which homebrew store do you shop at? Oh, my roommate is friends with one of the owners."

God I love Wisconsin.

That's like the opposite of annoying! Be friends with that person!

Is it good they ask? That's bordering on retarded. That's like saying,"hey! This sausage smells like shiz,try some!".:smack:

...I usually follow it up with an offer to join me next brew day if they would like, but warn them that it takes a fair bit of time.

Had my FIL join me for the first time a couple of months ago... he was all keen to get stuck into it. Breifly explain how the night would go (started after kids head to bed at approz 7pm). You should of seen his face when I said "so yeah, we should be all done by 1pm or so" :D

Hi everyone, I'm a marketing student at CSUSB College and I'm helping a new brewery open its doors. They asked me if I can help collect some information from Beer drinkers and this looks like a perfect place for that. If you want to help startup a new brewery, please take this 5 Minute survey to help them get started. Thank you so much for your help.

https://csusbcbpa.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_a2SXEYParLzmrOJ

Yeah, I hate it when I get asked to take an online survey, too.

Here's mine: "Oh! That's nice. So when are going to make wine?"

I reply: "Just after I'm done brewing beer..."

Here's mine: "Oh! That's nice. So when are going to make wine?"

I reply: "Just after I'm done brewing beer..."

My response to that would be "pouring juice into a carboy/bucket and leaving it to ferment for months, then transferring it from bucket to bucket every month for another couple of months just doesn't seem as interesting as the mashing/boiling/recipe creation aspects of beer"
Personally it seems like I get that from people who think wine is much more "sophisticated" than beer :D

Aw,c'mon,you can do gooder than that!...& since them old corn squeezins git plenty of spark...you kin go on down the road,both you & the car carryin a load!:rockin:

mattd2 said:
Personally it seems like I get that from people who think wine is much more "sophisticated" than beer :D

It's a strange notion, but as a brewer the other disciplines are of interest to me, because I've taken something from each.

It's a strange notion, but as a brewer the other disciplines are of interest to me, because I've taken something from each.

I've done the same thing.. I started doing 5 gallon batches of beer, then started making 6 gallon batches of wine. Then I realized, why the heck don't I just make 6 gallon batches of beer? so I do that now.

Now there pretty much isn't anything I won't try to ferment. Beer, cider, wine, barleywine, mead, braggot, "2 buck chuck" made from welches concentrate; if it has starches or sugars in it I'll give it a whirl.

I love it when people ask me "can't you just buy beer in the store?" if I don't feel like dealing with their crap I typical respond with "I sure could, but I try to control how much of my life is outsourced"

Bostonbrewin63 said:
"You brew beer? Are you a alcoholic?" I don't understand why they think this.. Im far far from it. Maybe this is the first sign? Denial ? Lol

Invite them to join you on brew day, they can see if that's the quickest/cheapest way to not feel like crap. The worst of them, it's a shameful thing. Multiple trips to the store each day, half pint of vodka bottle of juice, half pint of vodka bottle of juice...

...but rare is the brewer that doesn't enjoy the fruits of their labor. ;)

Nine times out of ten, their response will be of genuine curiosity and they will inquire about difficulty, equipment needed, etc. Some will ask if I do it to "save money on beer."

The other 10 percent will respond with one or more of the following:
Is that legal?
Is that safe?
Does your HOA allow it?
Do you have a still in your garage? (No kidding, I've been asked that more than once)
Can you make beer that's as good as Bud/Miller/Coors, etc.?
My grandpa used to make bathtub gin back in the twenties....
Isn't it easier to just go buy some beer?

Living in Seattle it seems like everyone knows someone who brews, or I am just hanging out with the right people.

What has gotten weird reactions is when I tell people I make bacon.

people seem more surprised that I make my own bread than beer which when you think about it is pretty odd because bread is a heck of a lot easier.

I love it when people ask me "can't you just buy beer in the store?" if I don't feel like dealing with their crap I typical respond with "I sure could, but I try to control how much of my life is outsourced"

I say "not during the zombie apocalypse". They ask no further questions.

Back