Seriously - is there such thing as too much hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Haha yeah it's way overboard, I started the kickstarter as a bit of a joke but then the idea of doing an overboard hopstand started to really grow on me. When people from all over the world started chipping in the money to make it happen I did a bit of a double take. Well, the people demanded a huge hopstand and now I've got to deliver. I'm sure I'll have a few bottles to trade if anyone's interested - planning on sending one out to @Homercidal who pitched in a few dollars and has chosen one of the hops I'm using. :ban:

from what I remember, I think it was a post of mine and Remmys that inspired this. I am very interested in how it turns out. Somewhere there is a golden ratio of hops to wort with maximum hop character that wont yield green sludge

you sir are an american hero

And speaking of green diuretic residue...I had a tun of it yesterday in my pepper IIPA. 12ozs of hops leaves a crap ton of green gunk. Strained out some 4-6 cups of it. I wasn't going to loose any hop juice to that stuff.

ive heard it seems to create a more assertive bitterness IBU for IBU. Like you knwo how some hops seems to give a softer bitter flavor that doesnt bite your tongue as much? Those arent what they use for hop extracts. But ive never used it

ive had SN Hop Hunter IPA where they use extract and it definitely has a different type of edge to it

I have used hop extract for bittering and I haven't noticed anything radically different from typical bittering hops. I generally have to add more than the directions/alpha acid content indicates to achieve the bitterness I want. I believe they use high alpha acid hops like Columbus, Warrior, or Summit, but could be mistaken.

I am not sure, but I have a bunch of excess hops and am making a beer I have named "2-Pound Clown". IIPA with 2 pounds of hops. In a month or so I'll have an idea if it is any good.

I don't see where you ever reported back how this batch turned out?

I started growing my own hops and was realizing that I have more hops in my freezer than I can brew with before next year's harvest and was actually thinking of giving some to those less hops fortunate. That is until I read this thread????

Back