Secondary question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

csells10

Reaction score
So this will be my first batch of letting the beer sit in primary for 2 weeks. It took a lot of patience but i'm excited to see how the witbeer turns out!

Is secondary necessary? I know it'll have cloudy suspension because of the yeast but is anything after 2 weeks worth it? or should I go to bottle. I know fermentation is done. There might be bubbles but I don't have an airlock (use a coopers fermentor) which is a draw back but testing FG at about 1 week I was a bit over my target. Which might be because of the lack of steeping well enough first time steeping to get sugars. Let me know your thoughts!

Beer is for the wife want it to turn out good :ban:

If it's done and cleared up, it's ok to bottle. I never secondary and many of my berets go from 2 week primary directly to keg to age.

Don't bother with secondary and I'd let it sit in primary an additional week (3 weeks total). That will give you yeast a little additional time for clean up. Your patience will be rewarded with a better beer.

Checking it after only 1 week,the gravity would be too high yet more often as not. Mine typically take about 3 weeks to finish & settle out. But I'be got a PM wheat going myself right now,& I'll test it at two weeks for Fg & overall flavor/aroma. If it's done & smells/tastes ok,& isn't too cloudy,I'll bottle it. Wheats will be quite misty when done.

My only issue of another week in the fermentor, is temp control, this weekend it's going to be hot and I don't want the yeast to go out of wack. So consensus would be test after 2 weeks is up and then bottle for 3 weeks? or pray the temp stays relatively cool and stable then bottle for 3.

Temp is not a big issue after primary fermentation is done. I usually go 3 weeks on my wheats letting the temp rise (I stop adding ice to my swamp cooler) after the first week or so.

Isn't it hot already in Plymouth? You'll be fine to leave it in the primary at this point if that is what you decide to do. Once it has reached final gravity, the yeast can't do much to create off flavors because they just aren't active... no more food.

Got it! Yea it's hot and humid in the mountains.... one more month then I get a basement to brew beer all year round and not on the second floor..... :rockin:

I'm in Kittery ME and it's been pretty warm to say the least. I'm almost glad I didn't get a chance to brew this weekend, weird as that sounds! Good luck on your beer, you'll be fine.

Latest posts

Back