Kegging without bottle filler

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HomeDrewer

Reaction score
I have a flemish i am wanting to bottle for a competition in a couple weeks. Since it is about 9 months old, I'm afraid if i try to bottle condition it, it might not take and i'll be submitting flat beer. Conversely, I could just as easily end up with a gusher or bottle bomb. I don't really have time to test it now before submitting it either. I also dont want to keg it, because i dont have a spare keg at the moment and also dont want to risk contaminating my blickman and other equipment with the crazy bugs in this thing (its awesome sour!).

I have recently made a couple carbonator caps thanks to a thread on HBT. Has anyone tried to over carbonate a beer in a 2-liter and pour it gently into bottles and cap it? Grant it that this isnt the best way, but i am wondering if it will work in a pinch.

Thanks for the input!

Good point. It will only be in the bottle for 1-2 weeks leading up to the competition tho. Also, I could hit the head space with some CO2 before I capped.

This is supposedly how Gordon Strong (most winningest home brewer ever - like Jamil) does it. He describes it thoroughly in the last podcast of basic brewing radio

This is supposedly how Gordon Strong (most winningest home brewer ever - like Jamil) does it. He describes it thoroughly in the last podcast of basic brewing radio

I guess great minds think alike. I'll have to check that out. Has it been documented anywhere in written form that you know of? I'm not much of a "podcaster"

You could go with a sort of modified growler filler design.

Carb the beer in a 2 liter.
Get a drilled cork/stopper that fits in the 2 liter mouth.
Attached a short length of tube to the stopper and drop it into the bottom of the bottle you are filling.
Tip the 2-liter over and punch a small hole in the bottom to vent. keep your thumb over the hole to control flow and the other hand on the stopper so you don't accidentally spill beer everywhere.

Oh - and the Basic Brewing radio "Podcasts" are also available for listening over the internet - not "Pod" required!

Go here http://www.basicbrewing.com/index.php?page=radio and click on the mp3 streaming link. Good listening in any format

Hah, I know no pod req'd..I basically meant I get bored listening to them and therefore not a podcaster. I also hate talk radio - makes me wanna stab my eardrums out with my car keys, lol. But I think I can check out a couple to get this done...thanks for the link/info.

Back