Early Automation...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpalarchio

Reaction score
Ran across this link: http://www.employees.org/~joestone/Sbs/index.htm

An automated brewing system running off an 80286 computer (c. 1994).

gui_initial_s100_q100.jpg

recipe_page_s100_q100.jpg

My Automation experience started with PROVOX in the 90's. At the time I thought it was awesome because the "stick graphics" were so colorful. Now, when I have to do work on an old PROVOX system, I cringe.

Technology has come a long way. However, it still bugs the **** out of me that the processors I work with, whether it be Control Logix, DeltaV, etc are still limited to Megabytes. I understand why but we talk in Terabytes just about everywhere else, yet my State-of-the-Art L75 CLX controller maxes out at a whopping 32 Megs! When working in Phase Logic, it doesn't take much to fill that up. The DetlaV MX/SX controllers have massive capacities at 96 MB!

But then again, at least I'm no longer deleting single lines of code to make my programs fit.

One thing I do like about DeltaV versus CLX is that Cross-talk communication between controllers is so much easier with DeltaV since one does not have to set up a bunch of messaging between controllers.

Back