Seeking constructive criticism

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

homebrewedipa

Reaction score
I have a few homebrews that I'd like to have someone (or multiple people) sample and help me identify some flaws. I'm looking for someone who is both an experienced (home)brewer and has a good palate. My palate is just not developed enough to identify the flaws I'm hoping someone else can taste. Is my mash temperature too low? too high? hop flavor profile is wrong? water doesn't contain the right minerals? has too much chlorine or chloramines? Is it green? does it need to sit on yeast longer? Is my recipe flawed? etc.

Here are a few things I have bottled currently:
Cascade IPA
Juniper Pale Ale
Red Ale
Chipotle Amber Ale
Vanilla Stout

Anyone want to volunteer their services?

I wouldn't consider my palate experienced even after many hundreds of different beers. Guess I have no ego!

So... what's up? Maybe you could gain a little info from at least trying to identify what the problem you perceive is? Does it smell nasty? Tastes like... ? There are many flavor defect charts on the web. Can you fit yours into any of those?

Admittedly - it's not so easy sometimes. Without someone to guide me, I'm having troubles identifying phenolics versus esters (and with experience, I'm sure it will eventually come easy).

The reason I want to take an interest in your problem is because I'm personally encountering a bad flavor issue that I can't seem to resolve, and it's thrust me out of brewing on one occasion. I'd like to help if I can, given my limited experience - but I would hope it would be possible without having to send the physical beer.

Maybe it's not possible - but at least try to explain what the problem is? What are you tasting?

On second thought... send a sample to Brooklyn-Brewtality after explaining your problem. Maybe we could both learn something out of this-

I realized my post sounds like "I can't fix my car, but I want to help you fix your car" - which makes no sense.

Hi homebrewedipa:

I wouldn't say I have a massively refined palate, but I would certainly be willing to take a lookse (or a tastesee as it were) I have done quite a bit of brewing over the past couple years and have a solid process nailed down that is getting good results among fellow brewers and in compettiton.. If nothing else it is an opportunity to meet another fellow homebrewer.

I would also suggest you could look up one of the local homebrew clubs and attend a meeting or two if you like. Most of the larger local clubs have multiple BJCP judges who would be more than happy to help. Here is a list for the Seattle area. http://www.wahomebrewers.org/community/clubs?task=category&sectionid=5

Also one thing that jumps out at me a bit is that you are brewing some off the beaten path recipes with strong grains and adjuncts in them. It can be difficult to detect flaws in the base beer if it is overpowered by strong additions such as your juniper and chipolte beers. It is often beneficial to develop a known good base beer that you can reproduce before you add aggressive adjuncts. That way you can point to the amount or type of adjuncts for off flavors rather than your base beer.

At any rate, I live up in the Seattle Hill area of South Everett about 3 miles off I-5 128th st. exit. I brew frequently on weekends and likely will be doing so this weekend. Shoot me an message if you'd like to pop up and share some homebrew anytime.

Cheers

Awesome, thanks guys. PMs sent to all. I'll put together some of the details for each and post them here later on.

Okay, packages are ready to be shipped out. Here's what you'll find inside:

Vanilla Stout (VS2)
2-Row, Munich, C120, Chocolate, Biscuit, Brown, C40
Warrior, Chinook, Goldings
Wyeast 1056
4oz Vanilla extract
OG 1.075, FG 1.020

Red Ale
2-Row, C40, Biscuit, Melanoiden, Special B
Columbus, Cascade, Tettnang
Wyeast Pacman
OG 1.060, FG 1.011

Cascade IPA
2-Row, Carapils, C40, C10, Vienna
Simcoe, Cascade (lots of Cascade)
Wyeast 1056
OG 1.065, FG 1.010

Juniper Pale Ale (JPA)
2-Row, Vienna, C10
Cascade
Wyeast 1056
2oz crushed juniper berries
OG 1.050, 1.012

The vanilla stout is still pretty fresh; it was bottled on 3/13, so it isn't fully conditioned yet. I drank one tonight and I the flavor is good, but don't expect it to have full body and carbonation yet.

Please let me know when you receive the packages and your critiques as you drink them. What I'm most curious about is why the IPA and the Juniper Pale have that same smell/flavor, so you may want to drink those two together. The other two may have the same characteristics, just hidden by the darker malts. The most helpful thing you can do for me is to just be honest. I'm still learning and am hoping this is an enlightening process for me.

If you're still looking for some more feedback, my homebrew club has several BJCP judges (myself included) that would be happy to give you full score sheets as well as tips to rectify any off flavors.

Back