Florida bug identification

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phordee

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

My poor plants have been getting hit by waves upon waves of pests. I recently drove out hordes of spider mites just to have them replaced by these little buggers:

http://imgur.com/a/8tbIh

They seem to like my cascade plant in particular. So far nothing has seemed to work. I've been using a rosemary oil, neem oil, dish soap solution as well as this garden dust:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005ZWD988/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Has anyone had any experience with these guys and know how to get rid of them? I have also caught beetles and a grasshopper on my plants but it's rare.

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a book called The Homebrewer's Garden and in it there is a drawing of a bug called a Spotted Cucumber Beetle that looks pretty similar to that. It says they chew large holes with ragged, corky edges in leaves and may also feed on stems and leaves causing damage to the hop cones.

As for controlling them it says the adults can be captured by hand (as you demonstrated), and that severe infestations can be controlled using botanical pesticides like rotenone or pyrethrin. Note that apparently you should be sure not to harvest for a couple weeks afterwards if you do use these pesticides.

I'd highly recommend the book. It goes into substantial details about most bugs and diseases that can affect the plants.

I have a book called The Homebrewer's Garden and in it there is a drawing of a bug called a Spotted Cucumber Beetle that looks pretty similar to that. It says they chew large holes with ragged, corky edges in leaves and may also feed on stems and leaves causing damage to the hop cones.

As for controlling them it says the adults can be captured by hand (as you demonstrated), and that severe infestations can be controlled using botanical pesticides like rotenone or pyrethrin. Note that apparently you should be sure not to harvest for a couple weeks afterwards if you do use these pesticides.

I'd highly recommend the book. It goes into substantial details about most bugs and diseases that can affect the plants.

Thanks you for your help. The bug looks exactly like the one you mentioned except for the color. They are relentless. My cascade plant doesn't have a single leaf without a bite in it now. I will order some pyrethrin and The Homebrewer's Garden book. Wish me luck!

Back