Sake / Double IPA Hybrid

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spaced

Reaction score
I'm betting I'm not the only person intrigued by this.

Source: http://www.shankennewsdaily.com/ind...t-brewing-and-distilling-news-for-may-7-2013/

Millers Falls, Massachusetts-based Element Brewing Co. has released a new gluten-free beer, Plasma. Billed as a strong IPA combined with a saké, Plasma (9.33% abv) is brewed with brown rice, malted millet, malted buckwheat and Aramis hops. It’s available now on draft at select bars in Massachusetts, and is slated to be rolled out across other New England states and New York in the coming months. Element will also roll it out in 750-ml. bottles early this summer. Plasma joins a lineup of year-rounds Extra Special Oak, Red Giant and Dark Element, as well as four seasonal Interval Ales.

More info: http://www.tauntongazette.com/dinin...ut-A-look-at-whats-going-on-in-the-beer-world

Has anyone got experience brewing sake? Do you mind providing some tips?

Man, I feel like in PA I'm stuck in between the craft GF beer movement. Oregon and now MA!

I don't know anything about sake, I've never had it. But I am interested too.

I always get plum like flavors from sake. Sake can vary almost as much as grape wine. Not sure what type of sake they use. I would try it but, I don't know that I want plum in my ipa. I'm going to see if I can get a bottle. Assuming it comes as close as new york.

Selling a gluten free beer/ wine hybrid would be hell in pa. You would have to sell it by the case to make money (its most likely just in 6ers) and it would have to meet certain percentages of malt and must. Its a ***** for seagrams to sell their wine coolers in pa.

So, just poured a glass of Hoppiness is an IPA and added a generous bit of sake. I have amarillo and simcoe dry hopping in the keg and they overpower any flavor added by the sake. There is a bit of an alcoholic kick on the aftertaste and it definitely has the 21% alcohol effects of the sake. I'm kinda losing my train of thought here, i think i will keep my IPA and sake separate as i enjoy the flavors of the sake on their own.

I use the taylor made ak instuctions for my sake, and even tried this on a straight sorgum batch once, but it got a bit moldy.

I wonder if they brew it separately, or brew it all like they would sake. I would think the latter. I considered doing it this way but haven't made another koji batch yet.

So, just poured a glass of Hoppiness is an IPA and added a generous bit of sake. I have amarillo and simcoe dry hopping in the keg and they overpower any flavor added by the sake. There is a bit of an alcoholic kick on the aftertaste and it definitely has the 21% alcohol effects of the sake. I'm kinda losing my train of thought here, i think i will keep my IPA and sake separate as i enjoy the flavors of the sake on their own.

Thanks for your experimentation. I'm hoping someone gets their hands on this to provide a review.

Beer advocate has 2 reviews last I checked. Its goning to be a few months till anyone can get it outside their state.

SWMBO works at flatbread pizza in Bedford and they got a keg of it in, just cleaning the gluten free line since its been a cider line for about two years and we'll get to try some, ill keep you guys posted

I'm going to lose my mind if you mean bedford, pa. I'm willing to bet you are talking about bedford, ny or bedford, ma though.

Back