Seat keg lid with o2 for wort transport

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kahler

Reaction score
Here's the deal. I live in an apt. I can brew at my dads house but want to ferment at home(apt). I have a feeling running propane on my balcony will be frowned upon. The idea is to brew, put wort in keg, hit it with o2 stone to aerate, then push enough o2 through a gas fitting to seat the lid. Once I get home- 30mins away- I will pitch the yeast and switch the lid for one that has a blow off tube. Thoughts, suggestions, process ammendments appreciated.

I would not recommend aerating your wort 30 ,minutes before pitching yeast. With no yeast to take up the O2, wort compounds will start to be oxidized.

Got it! Thank you!
So aerate, pitch, seal, transport, switch lid?

If I had no chance but to transport it, and if I was going to ferment in the keg anyway, yeah, that's probably what I'd do.

Thank you for your replies and knowledge.
Surprisingly, it was easier to brew in our apt in queens than it is now at our apt in San Diego---designed my brewhouse around piggy backing multiple gas burners on our stove(s), now we a flat top electric. Ugh.

Back