American IPA Sea Raven IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jmoney

Reaction score
Recipe Type
Extract
Yeast
WLP001
Yeast Starter
Yes
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
1.056*
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
10d @67F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14d @67F
Tasting Notes
clean base, complex aromas
6# extra light DME

steeping grains (30 min @150-155F)
1.25# Crystal 10L
1.00# Carapils
8 oz. Caravienne

60 min boil:
0.5 oz. German Magnum
0.5 oz. Warrior
0.25 oz. Columbus
0.25 oz. Northern Brewer

30 min boil:
0.5 oz. Crystal
0.25 oz. Centennial
0.25 oz. Simcoe

1/4 tsp super irish moss at 10 min

flameout:
1 oz. Amarillo

10 day primary fermentation at 67F. on day 4 added 1# dextrose (dissolved in 1 cup boiled water) to primary.

on day 10, racked onto secondary with 1 oz. Amarillo (leaf), 1 oz. Simcoe (leaf).
on day 17, added 1 oz. Amarillo (pellet), 1 oz. Simcoe (pellet) to secondary.
dry hop additional 7 days (14 days total in secondary)

This is not a Ballast Point Sculpin clone per se but is an amalgamation of various recipes online attempting to reproduce Sculpin IPA, which ranks among my favorites. I can't seem to get any fresh Sculpin up here in CT and haven't been able to do a proper comparison. The recipe looks like it's just meant to be annoying with the small hop additions during the boil, but I heard that may have arisen from Ballast Point's origin as an offshoot of a homebrew supply shop. Whatever the initial reasoning, I do think this eclectic hop bill produces the complexity of flavors in this otherwise clean and crisp IPA.

The late dextrose addition is to help attenuation for us extract brewers. This results in a lower OG; I estimate the late dextrose addition as producing +0.9% ABV to the measured OG/FG calculation.

The lowly sea raven is a rather unattractive and slightly spiny fish seen in the North Atlantic. It gets no respect and is often thrown back by anglers, but to me it has the taste and texture of monkfish...for which people will gladly pay an arm and a leg.

Took 1st in the IPA category out of 45 entries at the 2013 SNERHC with 40 pts from both judges, despite getting dinged for over-carbonation. oops. (I don't think they realized it was an extract brew). Dedicated to my friend and fellow hophead Will Kher...gone too soon. This one's for you buddy.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm new to all this and wanted to try a recipe for an IPA buy buying all the ingredients from my local HBS down the road. Just a few questions, would this be cheaper buying all these ingredients rather than a kit from someone like brewers best or similar? Also it all looks easy to follow even for me but whats the part about dry hop additional 7 days?

I think the price is probably similar whether you order a kit or go to the LHBS. I usually stick with the LHBS and enjoy talking brewing with the guys...once in a while something (usually a hop varietal) is out of stock or I need a real specialty item and I end up doing a large order online.

the dry hopping schedule is 1 oz of each hop when you rack to secondary, and 1 oz additional of each hop a week later. haven't made this in a while, hope it turns out well for you!

I'm a new brewer, but this looks right up my alley. I will give it a try here soon and hopefully provide feedback.

good luck! looking back on this recipe, I think you can probably simplify it by adding the dextrose (or plain white sugar) at flameout. I don't usually bother with adding it several days later anymore. If you have enough healthy yeast and ferment at the right temperature I don't think under-attenuation is that big a problem.

So here are my results:
OG:1.066
FG: 1.014
ABV: ~6.83%
Apparent attenuation: ~78%, I used Safale US-05 yeast.

After primary fermentation I bottled half and dry hopped the second, really wanting to experience the impact that dry hopping imparts on the brew.
This was an immensely successful experiment, both batches turned out great, and I've learned a lot. My only regret is not making more, ha!

Thanks for sharing your recipe.

Back