Fruit Beer Lemon-Lime Hefe Weizen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Okay, so I am headed to the LHBS tomorrow to pick this all up. But for some unbeknownst reason, my brain is not working today.... So forgive the dumb question.

If I am planning on doing this as an extract recipe, I would still steep the 1lb of Vienna malt, right? Because I assume the other 2 extracts will take care of the other 2 grains listed....

Thanks for answering my total n00b question... I guess I gotta wake this ol brain up.

Okay, so I am headed to the LHBS tomorrow to pick this all up. But for some unbeknownst reason, my brain is not working today.... So forgive the dumb question.

If I am planning on doing this as an extract recipe, I would still steep the 1lb of Vienna malt, right? Because I assume the other 2 extracts will take care of the other 2 grains listed....

Thanks for answering my total n00b question... I guess I gotta wake this ol brain up.

That sounds right to me.

Brewed my second batch this morning. I started heating up my strike water at 5:30AM and was all done by 8:30AM. I had some things I had to take care of today, and SWMBO has a friend coming in from out of town and didn't want me off in my own little brewing world being anti-social :D So I did what had to be done! Brew early!

I followed the recipe exactly, with the exception of the lime zest. I overestimated the amount of zest I would get from my limes and only ended up with 3.5oz. I hit all my temps and gravity readings. I can't wait to give this a try. My first batch I had really low OG (too much water/not enough boil off, and poor efficiency), so I'm looking forward to see how it is REALLY supposed to taste. The first batch was delicious btw...

Here are the stats:
Estimated Pre-boil Gravity: 1.047
Actual Pre-boil Gravity: 1.048
Pre-boil Volume: 6 gal
Estimated OG: 1.054
Actual OG: 1.055
Post-Boil Volume: 4.75 gal (topped off to make 5.5 gal in the fermentor)

I boiled off a little more than I was planning and had to add some extra water to get the proper volume. The above OG is after the water addition. Assuming I get my target attenuation I'll be looking at an ABV% of 6.41%, which is much higher than my first batch which ended up about 4.5%.

Cheers!

I have a 10 gal batch of biermuncher's centennial blonde that has finished fermenting and is scheduled for kegging soon. I was wanting to split this batch into 2 cornys and leave one as is while adding some sort of citrus or lime to the other corny. Do you guys think I could add LimeAde to this blonde ale to add a citrus flavor to it? I'm a fan of bud light lime and i'm shooting for something with that type of lime additive to it.

How strong is the "lemon-lime" flavor is everyone getting? I tasted after about a week and a half, and can hardly taste any lemon-lime. Maybe it will be different after carbing.

How strong is the "lemon-lime" flavor is everyone getting? I tasted after about a week and a half, and can hardly taste any lemon-lime. Maybe it will be different after carbing.

Mine wasnt overly strong but it was definitly there. Id say it had more lime flavour than any other lime beers ive had (bud light lime, Miller chill) I found the yeast flavours to be more prominent especially bannana when you first pour.

Alright guys, bottling on Sunday. 48 hours short of 3 weeks. I'm really concerned with this batch, temp has been mid to upper 70's (despite my best efforts) and I've seen no action in the airlock since I dumped the limeade in. I should also note that I used twice the yeast on brew day, rather than using a starter yeast the day before brewing. (Bonehead move)

Reassurance or condolences welcomed.
Cheers!

Alright guys, bottling on Sunday. 48 hours short of 3 weeks. I'm really concerned with this batch, temp has been mid to upper 70's (despite my best efforts) and I've seen no action in the airlock since I dumped the limeade in. I should also note that I used twice the yeast on brew day, rather than using a starter yeast the day before brewing. (Bonehead move)

Reassurance or condolences welcomed.
Cheers!

On my first batch (currently brewing my second), I saw an initial boost in fermentation after I added the limeade for about 24hrs. After that it died back down pretty quickly and there wasn't any additional visible signs of fermentation (i.e. bubbles coming out of my blow off tube). The yeast will quietly clean up their mess over the few days. So by around Day 7 everything else is pretty much just bulk conditioning. You might see a bubble or two in your airlock, but I wouldn't worry if you don't.

As far as fermentation temps, you may end up with more pronounced banana aromas and flavors. I've read that WLP380 can produce these at higher temps, even though it is supposed to be a minimal banana strain. The temperature control is more critical when active fermentation is ongoing (i.e. the first 5 days or so with this beer). If it taste too much like banana in the future you should try to keep it a little cooler during that initial window. You could try a swamp cooler if you don't have access to a fridge/freezer with a temperature controller.

In regards to your yeast pitching rate, in the future use the Pitching Rate Calculator at Mr. Malty (http://www.mrmalty.com/calc/calc.html). There are a few variables that I would need to know to plug it in for you, but essentially you need the yeasts production date, your starting OG, and any starter information. Assuming you had fresh vials of WLP380, and hit SD-Slims target OG exactly (1.051) you would need two vials without using a starter. Sounds like you pitched enough (at least in the right ballpark), so I wouldn't worry about not using a starter.

When you bottle drink the last bit and see how it tastes (I always end up with about a half a bottle left over). Does it taste like beer? There will obviously be some more conditioning in the bottles (some flavors may mellow). All in all I'd say not to worry!

:mug:

Will brew this beasty beauty this saturday for the first time! I'll use Falconers instead of the prescribed hops, as my LHS did not carry either. Will keep you updated!

Will brew this beasty beauty this saturday for the first time! I'll use Falconers instead of the prescribed hops, as my LHS did not carry either. Will keep you updated!

Like a lot of the posts in this thread say the hops are a pretty important part of the flavor profile of this beer. There are sources online that you can get them pretty quick.

Like a lot of the posts in this thread say the hops are a pretty important part of the flavor profile of this beer. There are sources online that you can get them pretty quick.

Thanks for the hint! Alas, shipment to Quebec is ... erratic. Falconer's Flight contains Sorachi, so there is that. Never seen B-Saaz or Motueka around here, though: my luck is that I've never tasted it, so wouldn't know what I am missing. Well, I'm gonna order some for a next batch!

Thanks for the advice guys! Thinking about kegging tonight but I'm confused with the horrible sulfur smell, should I wait longer?

creekwaterbrew said:
Thanks for the advice guys! Thinking about kegging tonight but I'm confused with the horrible sulfur smell, should I wait longer?

I would take some hydrometer readings before kegging....my guess is that you have some lazy yeast....they started out like a bullet, but down shifted to first gear but are still working to finish your beer...unlike sports, you don't need to be the first to cross the finish line, you just need to cross the finish line!

One week to go before its bottling time!

image-103329050.jpg

This was brewed on Friday. Checked 3 stores this weekend and no Limeade. All the other Simply products though. I'll be on a mission tomorrow afternoon to get some. I'll let you know how it turns out.

I can finally add myself to the list of folks having made Slim's beer....

I think back when I started brewing this was the 2nd beer I wanted to make, but never really had luck finding hops, extracts, etc.

After well over a year, it's in my fermentor. even got enough hops to make it again! I've got family members dreaming of this beer around the pool already :)

Edit:

After 24hrs of fermentation, apparently my blow off bucket is overflowing with foam and "the whole hose stinks of lime beer and it's running everywhere"

Guess this guy's an active fermentor ;)

Here's my lemon version made with lemon zest and simply lemonade. Very nice up front lemon flavor and very easy drinking.

image-1960033046.jpg

Ok sulfur smell came from a towel I left in the bucket I placed the fermenter in lol! Beer was siphoned into the keg on Friday and it tastes amazing! Pictures to come. :)

Finally made this! This is by far the highest quality beer I've ever made. It's just simply perfect! Can't wait for the weather to get warm and enjoy double digits of these badboys out on the boat! GREAT RECIPE!

So I'm curious, for those of you who have brewed this recipe with all the original ingredients....where would you feel comfortable subbing? Grain, hops, yeast or limeade? I'm a little partial since its my recipe, but I'm curious what others are ok with.

I'm looking at brewing your recipe with either Nottingham or Safale 05 yeast. A couple people have said they were going to try the 05 but have not seen any comments after tasting. Can anyone help and suggest which to go with?

Going to be brewing this tomorrow for my second all grain batch. Looking forward to seeing how it comes out!

Ok I just stole a sample of this brew before I just added lemonade w/ mango and tasted great. So hopefully the juice adds some mango flavor. Will let you know how it turns out.

Can anyone verify what Oreon answered to this question regarding the 1 lb vienna malt? I am heading to my LHBS later today to pick up extract ingredients. When i found the extract recipe suggestion earlier in this thread, I got the impression you wouldn't do any of the grains. Somebody said:

"Boil 3 gallons of water, Add extract to water, and the rest of the directions are the same...follow the hops schedule and add the limeade after it calms down!"

So i wasn't planning on steeping any grains. Can anyone clarify the extract recipe? Also, looking at my LHBS's website, they dont list Pale liquid extract at all. Can you sub dry pale extract (assuming there is such a thing) for that? Sorry, i'm still learning. This will be my 3rd batch. also, i'm doing the grapefruit version, i would still want to do the lime zest, yes?

Here's the full extract directions I nabbed from earlier in this thread:

Boil 3 gallons of water, Add extract to water, and the rest of the directions are the same...follow the hops schedule and add the limeade after it calms down!
7lbs 12.6 Ounces of Wheat Liquid Extract
10.7 Ounces of Pale Liquid Extract

0.25 Motueka Hops at 60 Minutes
0.25 Sorachi Ace 20 minutes
0.25 Motueka Hops 20 minutes
0.25 Sorachi Ace 7 Minutes
0.50 Lime Zest 5 Minutes
White Labs Hefeweizen IV Ale Yeast
****Start Vigorous Fermentation****
After Vigorous Fermentation subsides, add 1.75L Simply Grapefruit
****Ferment for a minimum of 3 weeks****

defdans said:
Can anyone verify what Oreon answered to this question regarding the 1 lb vienna malt? I am heading to my LHBS later today to pick up extract ingredients. When i found the extract recipe suggestion earlier in this thread, I got the impression you wouldn't do any of the grains. Somebody said:

"Boil 3 gallons of water, Add extract to water, and the rest of the directions are the same...follow the hops schedule and add the limeade after it calms down!"

So i wasn't planning on steeping any grains. Can anyone clarify the extract recipe? Also, looking at my LHBS's website, they dont list Pale liquid extract at all. Can you sub dry pale extract (assuming there is such a thing) for that? Sorry, i'm still learning. This will be my 3rd batch. also, i'm doing the grapefruit version, i would still want to do the lime zest, yes?

Here's the full extract directions I nabbed from earlier in this thread:

Boil 3 gallons of water, Add extract to water, and the rest of the directions are the same...follow the hops schedule and add the limeade after it calms down!
7lbs 12.6 Ounces of Wheat Liquid Extract
10.7 Ounces of Pale Liquid Extract

0.25 Motueka Hops at 60 Minutes
0.25 Sorachi Ace 20 minutes
0.25 Motueka Hops 20 minutes
0.25 Sorachi Ace 7 Minutes
0.50 Lime Zest 5 Minutes
White Labs Hefeweizen IV Ale Yeast
****Start Vigorous Fermentation****
After Vigorous Fermentation subsides, add 1.75L Simply Grapefruit
****Ferment for a minimum of 3 weeks****

You don't need the Vienna malt...the extract version will get you very close to the all grain version...the comment after (follow the rest of the all grain recipe) was in reference to hops, yeast, fermentation schedule and lime-ade.

You don't need the Vienna malt...the extract version will get you very close to the all grain version...the comment after (follow the rest of the all grain recipe) was in reference to hops, yeast, fermentation schedule and lime-ade.

Yeah you are right. I didn't do the conversions before answering and just assumed that the wheat and the 2-row were the only ones converted and you still had to steep the Vienna. No steeping grains in this one, unless you really want to. My Bad......

Thanks Slim (and OREUS). Got everything earlier tonight and will brew on Saturday.

This may have been answered elsewhere in this thread, but any suggestions regarding how many limes it takes to get the right amount of zest?

I zest 3-4 large limes for my 5 gal batch and it gives it a nice flavor. Don't want to overpower it since you will be getting the flavor from the juice that you add. My opinion..

I brewed this over the weekend and just rack the limeade on top. I had to replace Motueka with Hallertau since my LHS ran out.

I want to make this brew this weekend but my brewery store doesn't carry Sorachi hops!!! Gah what to do?!?

Just kegged a batch tonight. If it's as good kegged as it is from the bottle it will be gone in no time! I can't wait for it to carb up, I only have four bottles of the first batch left!

OK I can't find the simply limeaide anywhere around Pittsburgh.. simply lemonaide everywhere just not limeaide.. even target was a no go... help.. anyone found it around here or is there a replacement limeaide I can use

Back