Funny Taste

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rgalvin

Reaction score
I have brewed four batches so far, a Pale ale, Mexican Cerveza, Octoberfest and a Wheat beer. They all have the same off taste. They are drinkable, well carbonated, look good, nice and clear, but... They all have a similar taste that I think doesn't belong. I can only describe it as a sweet, fruity, yeasty with a tart finish. It seems to overwhelm the characteristics of the different beer styles.
The most recent was the wheat beer, fermented two weeks and bottle conditioned for three. In some of the other beers it did lessen with extra conditioning. If I did anything wrong in the process my guess is pitching too warm. Anyone have any thoughts? i have two more batches working and am just curious if I am doing something wrong. It will be interesting to taste the next two batches but that wont be for another few weeks.
Thanks

It could be that the beer was fermented too warm, do you have temperature control during fermentation? Another thing could be infection, hopefully this isnt the case, do you notice that the beers continue to increase in carbonation with time in the bottle?

Post recipies and methods. Pitching at proper temps and fermenting at proper temps is pretty huge though.

Pitching too warm and/or fermenting too warm are your most likely culprits.

If you enjoy this addictive hobby and you think you're going to brew long-term, it's worth it to have an immersion chiller (so you can cool quickly and pitch ales at 60-64*F) as well as a freezer/fridge regulated by a temp controller (like an STC-1000).

Sounds like a classic case "fermentation-too-warm." All but the wheat beer need to be fermented cool... especially the Mexican Lager and O-Fest.

Back