several keg issues

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buzzbean

Reaction score
Howdy HBT. I have a handful of keg issues going on and one of the problems of being new to kegging is I don't quite know how to describe the issues. I hope the beer gods will look past these basic questions and help me out so that I can learn and return the favor in the future.

Setup:

• 5 lb co2
  • regulator
  • 2 line distributor
  • comercial keg and ball lock home brew
  • using MFL connections for all lines

My first CO2 tank leaked over night and so I went to the home brew shop and they pointed me to these little plastic washers to prevent a metal on metal connection for the MFL connections. Those mostly worked and a little star-san and teflon tape seemed to work. I was able to enjoy my draft beer for two weeks. I watched the regulator and it seemed to be holding steady pressure.

But, I was sick for the last 4 days and did not use it. I went to pour a beer last night and the tank is dead and all gas from the kegs is gone to, (ie. they did not hold pressure).

I'm gonna redo the lines tonight but am wondering if there is some other thing I am missing. I would have thought that the kegs would hold pressure? Also, I'm pouring out of picnic taps in case that helps.

Cheers and thanks for any help.

Spray every fitting with some soapy water or starsan soulution and see where it is leaking. If you still cant find the leak try submerging the parts you can in water and its very easy to tell i.e. your gas lines with quick connect attatched. My guess is either your gas quick connects, your connects off your gas line to your.splitter or regulator. Or the keg is leaking. Also tighten down your regulator with a wrench to the co2 tank. To fix a leaky keg find the leak and depending what it is tighten it or try some keg lube. If you hit a keg with 30psi before sealing the top the seal seals much better. Also if you push 30psi through everything sometimes its easier to find leaks, though it can make it harder if its very small as well because the soapy water just blows away.

put some water and dish soap in a cup. Grab an old paint brush if you have one or just buy a cheap one. get all of your lines hooked up and apply pressure with your co2 tank. Now take your soap water and dip your brush in it. liberally apply soap water on all of your connectors along your co2 set up. You will be able to detect your co2 leak(s) as bubbles will begin forming where the leak is. Once you find the leak you will be able to determine the proper course of action to eliminate it.

Great advice from above, I'd also put the picnic tap in water just to see if any bubbles come out from it, or it's connection. If you do find that it's an o-ring use beverage lube on it (should be doing that anyways) and that should help. Good call on the little plastic things to avoid metal/metal contact, I had a leak like that once.

Thanks everyone. I had not thought of beverage lube. I did not even look at it not knowing why I would want to lube a beverage. Also they sell it by the line leak foam so I thought it was some unnecessary gimmick product. Guess that is what I get for judging a book by its cover.

Thanks everyone. I had not thought of beverage lube. I did not even look at it not knowing why I would want to lube a beverage. Also they sell it by the line leak foam so I thought it was some unnecessary gimmick product. Guess that is what I get for judging a book by its cover.

Just light some candles and put on some soft music first. Those corny kegs have low self esteem and need to be relaxed before they get lubed.

Thanks again for the great advice. I tried cranking the psi and submersing the connections. Found two and tightened them and it seems to be holding. I was confused that both the commercial and corny kegs lost pressure but the gas in was leaky on both.

(I bought the lube too just in case. If the setup acts up again I can always threaten it with that:cross:)

Back