curdled yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

devils4ever

Reaction score
I made an ESB yesterday and used Wyeast 1968 (London ESB) yeast. I didn't have time to make a starter. So, I smacked the pack and within a few hours it puffed up as usual. When I went to pitch it, I noticed the yeast seemed like it was curdled, kind of like cottage cheese.

I pitched it anyway. This morning everything seems fine. The fermentation is running fine. But, what caused this? Is this normal? The yeast is about 2 months old from date of manufacture.

TIA.

It's not "curdled" as in sour, that yeast just looks that way. Differnt yeasts look different, different yeasts act different and different yeasts form different looking krausens. Everything is fine.

I guess I should have done a search first. Now, I see a lot of info on this chunky yeast.

Maybe, Wyeast should put a message on the package stating that this is normal. :rockin:

Yeah. I just pulled the flask off the stir plate to cold crash a 1968 ESB starter. When the stir bar was spinning, it looked like a cottage cheese beer-shake in there.:D

Thats what a high flocculating yeast does! It clumps together :). I used this in my ESB and was AMAZED at how brite the beer was coming out of primary

Noticed this a few times as well but everything has always turned out fine in the end.

Chris

Back